Swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbidder114, Nov 9, 2013.

1. lbidder114

lbidder114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    I have young hen with one swollen eye, it doesn't look like any i have seen on here. It's the corner closer to her beak. I can try to get a pic later but she not the nicest bird. I will have to catch her tonight and bring her in. There is no oozing and the eye is open. Can I try Baytril otic or Atropine sulfate or neomycin, polymyxin ointments I have all the of these when my dog had eye issues. I also have an eye wash it can try too.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes you can use those or Neosporin. Make sure whatever you use does not have the word "cain" at the end of it. It is a pain reliever that is toxic to poultry.

3. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    Thank you for your reply! I will try one of them!

4. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Is it the skin around her eye that is swollen? When one of mine appeared this way, it was a respiratory infection and I put her on antibiotics.

5. AshP

AshP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    As above. Respiratory infection or Mycoplasma unlikely to be the latter...Treat with Anti-Biotics as a precaution the Baytril will help also.

6. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    It is in the front corner of her eye, the white-ish tissue is bulging out, I did find a small feather in her eye yesterday and swept that out. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I have been using a hydrocortizone (sp?) based eye gel I had for my dog with no improvement but it's not getting worse. Think I can use contact lens solution to flush out her eye or should I go get saline solution and if I get Tylan for an antibiotic from TSC do they carry small enough needles for the birds or should I call my vet? Thank you all for your help. She is a young Black Marans hen and really pretty, she hasn't started laying yet either I really want to save her eye!

7. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eye as of today, I think she scratched it, she is also being for lice. The eyeball it's self looks ok but its the tissue in front of the eye. Some kind of scab looking thing fell of yesterday but I am now worried about the swelling. If the swelling is infection can I treat it with Amoxicillin? I have tried vetrx that did nothing and several other medicated eye gels with hydrocortizone with no results. I guess my next thought would buy the Tylan and give her shots... which I've never done.
    Thanks Lisa

8. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    I found I have a bottle of Baytril!! I gave her a dose of that just now and she has a huge thick scab hanging there! Pretty gross!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think you need to lance it and remove the pus.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by