swollen eyeball; no discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davinad, Aug 19, 2011.

1. davinad

davinad New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    Innisfail, Alberta
    I have a 6 month old Speckled Sussex. When I got her she had a swollen eye (slightly buggy) with no apparent discharge and the pupil is completely grey. She was eating well and drinking. I called the breeder and she suggested she had seen this occasionally with a few of her chicks and turkeys over the years and had good luck with poly-sporin. I ran the poly-sporin 2 times a day for about 7 days, no difference. I then tried colloidal silver, again 2 times a day for about 5 days, no difference. It appears now that she has lost alot of the sight in the good eye. The bulgy eye is not better, not worse. She seems to be a bit off balance and very cautious, which makes sense since she can't see very well. She does follow the other hens, is eating and drinking. The head chicken still bugs her a bit, the other two are fine with her. I have called our vets in the past but none have any interest in healing a chicken, but have offered to euthanize. Any ideas?

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Does it look something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by