Swollen Eyelids - Poison Ivy or Respiratory?

otoro

Chirping
Nov 26, 2018
New England
I've got a few rhode island reds that are 3 years old, and one araucauna.

they all have this symptom of swollen looking eyelids (not really impacting vision) and occasionally shaking heads.

i don't see any discharge or eye bubbles. we're on day 3. things don't seem to be getting much worse or changing.

we do have some poison ivy that's somewhat near where they rummage around in the yard.

so I've been trying to figure out if they potentially got into it. (are chickens affected by poison ivy/urishiol?)

or - if this is truly a respiratory disease that needs TYLAN.

The first to get the symptom was Princess (the aracauna) but it seems like she may already be starting to recover without treatment.

They are eating/drinking fine.

Interesting.
Look in their ears to make sure they are free of debris, infection, mites, etc.

Could be an environmental irritant if they all are showing similar symptoms. You may want to wear gloves when examining them just in case it really is poison ivy, especially if you are allergic, I would assume the oils would still be on the birds. I broke out one time when handling my dog after he'd been romping in the stuff :(

You have good ventilation in your coop? No excess ammonia in there right? Haven't added new birds lately?

I think I would give them a day or two, see if it resolves on it's own.
If they develop other symptoms that makes you think respiratory illness, then treating with Tylosin would be worth a shot.

Thank for the advice!

I will have to check out their ears. I'm assuming other than debris/mites I'm looking for anything atypical?

We have the normal ventilation that the Omlet EGLU. There are no circulatory fans or anything, just passive ventilation.

Shouldn't be excess ammonia - the wife just recently cleaned it out.

No new birds, these 3 are from the original 5 we got 3 years ago.

Anything else that screams respiratory infection I should watch out for?

Thank for the advice!

I will have to check out their ears. I'm assuming other than debris/mites I'm looking for anything atypical?

We have the normal ventilation that the Omlet EGLU. There are no circulatory fans or anything, just passive ventilation.

Shouldn't be excess ammonia - the wife just recently cleaned it out.

No new birds, these 3 are from the original 5 we got 3 years ago.

Anything else that screams respiratory infection I should watch out for?
Right, anything "odd" in the ears LOL The inside of the ears seem to actually stay fairly clean (at least with my birds) - the inside should look clean, the skin smooth and not irritated, etc.

Respiratory symptoms would include sneezing, coughing, wheezing, rales, runny nose/mucous, watery eyes or bubbles/pus in the eyes, facial swelling, etc.

While respiratory infection can cause swelling of the tissue around the eyes, you don't report other symptoms, the eyes look clear, etc. so I would take a few days and observe to see if environment is the cause and it resolves on it's own. Maybe keep them out of the poison ivy patch for a while and see what happens :)

Back
Top Bottom