Swollen eyes...or sinuses...or face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mockcherry, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mockcherry

mockcherry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    NJ
    A few weeks ago this bird had a seriously swollen eye. Treated with terramycin ointment and then upped to tylan 50. Then Bob got it last week, wasn't very responsive to the tylan. But it didn't get worse.. No discharge, no sneezing, no other symptoms. Good mood. Good appetite, etc. Now 1st bird has it again - swollen on both sides of the face. They are in a LARGE coop, there are 10 of them. Free range every day... I think I dosed Bob too low. Need to reweigh him. Should I try the tylan again or something else? I have pen g in the house too. These are the first chickens I've owned and we built the coop. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

A number of avian viruses such as Avian Metapneumovirus, Newcastle disease, avian paramyxovirus (APMV)-3, infectious bronchitis, and avian influenza, may cause respiratory disease and facial swelling like that. Since these are virus, antibiotics are only used to treat secondary bacterial infections, not the disease itself. You will probably continue to have problems. You may wish to consult with your State Veterinarian and look into the issue of bio-security.

ETA: If I recall correctly, someone did a personal info page called, "Chickens don't get colds." Maybe do a search on that for some very good info.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. mockcherry

mockcherry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    NJ
    assuming it is newcastle or ib, would the vax from jeffers take care of it, if its in an active state. I am assuming if it is either of these that they contracted it from wild birds? I have had them since they were day olds. Or two days old.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know the answer to that. Typically, the vaccines are pretty useless once a bird is infected. All I'm coming across are references to treating secondary bacterial infections with antibiotics. Since there's no way to know which virus you're dealing with, I really think the best advice is going to come from either the State Vet or the USDA poultry folks. It only takes a phone call and there's no charge for their services.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by