swollen eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cubalaya, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i have a couple of hens that have swollen eyes and acting weak. they keep closing their eyes and nodding their heads. what is this and what can i treat them with?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Read up on Coryza online under common poultry diseases. Swollen eyes is a symptom. good luck...

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i dont smell any foul smell which is a symptom of coryza. is there a cheap antibiotic i could put in their water? what about DE?

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Sounds like they have an upper respiratory infection. Is there a feed store near you? When this happened to me I purchased a package ( store employees helped me) of tetracycline powder. Cost $4.99. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the powder in gallon of water and treat the whole flock. Mix a new gallon everyday for 10 days. Keep the hens warm and quiet and get up their appetites with scrambled egg or fruit treats if they seem dehydrated. I washed out their eyes with a contact lens storage solution and a cotton ball. This seemed to sooth them and they opened them a little. The contact lens solution has germ fighters. Make sure they drink and eat even if you have to use a dropper to gently get a little of the medicated water in.

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Sounds like they have an upper respiratory infection. Is there a feed store near you? When this happened to me I purchased a package ( store employees helped me) of tetracycline powder. Cost $4.99. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the powder in gallon of water and treat the whole flock. Mix a new gallon everyday for 10 days. Keep the hens warm and quiet and get up their appetites with scrambled egg or fruit treats if they seem dehydrated. I washed out their eyes with a contact lens storage solution and a cotton ball. This seemed to sooth them and they opened them a little. The contact lens solution has germ fighters. Make sure they drink and eat even if you have to use a dropper to gently get a little of the medicated water in.

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    thanks, i will try it

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Crowing

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    when is it safe to eat the eggs after they have been on antibiotic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: