Swollen Eyes

Parsnip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Can anyone help?
I have a dozen leghorns to which I intoduced 5 welsummers a week ago. After a day or so all were getting on okay. However after a couple of days I noticed one of my leghorns looked like it had done a coupke of rounds with Mike Tyson. One of her eyes was closed and the bottom lid was very swollen. I initially thought it was injury from pecking after intoducing the welsummers but today I noriced 2 or 3 others have similar symptoms. The first birds eye is now open although there is still some swelling but she is generally well. There is no obvious breathing problems but I think it could be an infection brought in by the welsummers. They are 23 week old pullets in first class condition and totally healthy.
I have had a drop in eggs buts its now getting late in the year and the introduction of the new birds are probably involved as well.
Has any one else seen this. I have never brought birds in before always rearing a few chicks from eggs bought in. My flock has been very healthy before so I am worried I have introduced a nasty.

Back
Top Bottom