Swollen Face and Diarrea?! D: Please Help!!!

equinehugger3

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 14, 2010
My hen has a had a swollen face for a few days now.
sad.png
Today I went to a county fair, and they had poultry disease prevention packets, so I took one, and it showed a picture of a rooster with a face just like my hen's! That's when I realized something was wrong...
sad.png
I'm not sure if this is serious, but I need to make sure that she's okay!
sad.png

Here are some pictures:
13c6ab3b.jpg

89338753.jpg

86a50651.jpg

ba76c3b4.jpg

0ca697b2.jpg

abba50f0.jpg

She just got diarrhea, too.
sad.png

Sorry about bad photo quality! I had to use my iPod.

Any type of help is appreciated! This hen is my baby, and she's so special to us. Thank you!
smile.png

BTW...
She's a bit over a year.
No one else is sick/exhibiting symptoms.
This has been going on for 2 days, counting today.

Last edited:
She's also just been standing in a corner while her friends scratch and peck at bugs...
sad.png

Man, I hope this isn't serious.
sad.png

Don't worry, whatever this is, it looks like you've caught it early.

Facial swelling is a symptom to a lot of diseases, not just Newcastle Disease in particular. If it was Newcastle you'd be seeing other symptoms like trouble breathing and head twisting very quickly. Even just an infected wound near the face can cause swelling like this. If it's an infection or a respiratory condition like Coryza, Tylan 50 or 200 should be effective in treating it.

Is she having any trouble breathing? Is there any discharge from her eyes or nostrils? Are her eyelids swelling, too? Is her diarrhea green and watery or does it still look somewhat normal?

If you can, you should try giving her some electrolytes or even some sugar water immediately, to try and perk her up. If she's feeling down, make sure the others aren't picking on her and she can rest comfortably.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing! I hope she takes a turn for the better
fl.gif

Quote:
Thank you, me too!

Well, she has watery green diharrea is green and watery, she's puffing, and holding her wings limp. She's also shaking slightly.
sad.png
this sounds bad. We have her quarantined with some water and food, but she won't eat. I bad her drink a little, but she kind of just let it sit in her mouth for a while before it dribbled out. I'll give her siome sugar water immediately. Thanks so much for the help, Blue!

Quote:
Thank you, me too!

Well, she has watery green diharrea is green and watery, she's puffing, and holding her wings limp. She's also shaking slightly.
sad.png
this sounds bad. We have her quarantined with some water and food, but she won't eat. I bad her drink a little, but she kind of just let it sit in her mouth for a while before it dribbled out. I'll give her siome sugar water immediately. Thanks so much for the help, Blue!

The green poo is not a good sign. It means that either her crop is empty/not working properly and she isn't eating enough food.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the diagnosis. The symptoms do match a mild or early case of Newcastle disease, but I think you would have seen more neurological symptoms by now at this rate. Another disease that matched the symptoms was Fowl Cholera, which is bacterial and can be treated with antibiotics.

If she still isn't eating in a little while, and her crop is still emptying, you could try and force-feed her. You can make up a wet mash, whether it's just her food watered into a paste or something like yogurt. You can use a syringe to squirt it right into her mouth or put it in a deep dish and dip her beak into it. The problem with birds is that when they feel bad, they don't eat, and when they don't eat, they feel bad, and they deteriorate from there. If you think she'll eat it, something thick and filling like Oatmeal might be worth a shot.

You're welcome, equinehugger. I hope she pulls through for you.

Quote:
Thank you, me too!

sad.png

The green poo is not a good sign. It means that either her crop is empty/not working properly and she isn't eating enough food.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the diagnosis. The symptoms do match a mild or early case of Newcastle disease, but I think you would have seen more neurological symptoms by now at this rate. Another disease that matched the symptoms was Fowl Cholera, which is bacterial and can be treated with antibiotics.

If she still isn't eating in a little while, and her crop is still emptying, you could try and force-feed her. You can make up a wet mash, whether it's just her food watered into a paste or something like yogurt. You can use a syringe to squirt it right into her mouth or put it in a deep dish and dip her beak into it. The problem with birds is that when they feel bad, they don't eat, and when they don't eat, they feel bad, and they deteriorate from there. If you think she'll eat it, something thick and filling like Oatmeal might be worth a shot.

Thank you, again!
smile.png

She wolfed down about 5-10 bites before she stood up and moved a little. She's stopped shaking and holding her wings limp.
smile.png
Do those symptoms match those of overheating...? I don't think so, but maybe.
tongue.png
We have some sugar water boiling for her. Do you think that I should keep her inside overnight, just in case?

Quote:

Thank you, again!
smile.png

She wolfed down about 5-10 bites before she stood up and moved a little. She's stopped shaking and holding her wings limp.
smile.png
tongue.png
We have some sugar water boiling for her. Do you think that I should keep her inside overnight, just in case?

That's a good sign! Holding the wings out from the body is a sign of them being hot. If it's warm out there, that could very well be part of the problem.

As for keeping her in the house, that's up to you. If she's fine with being in the house, then I'd say go for it. Especially if she's not eating or drinking much. If she starts to get lonely, you can always bring in a buddy from outside to keep her company. Sometimes another chicken pecking at the food is enough encouragement for her to eat more.

The best advice I can give you right now is keep her drinking since she's losing a lot of water in her diarrhea.

Quote:
Thank you, again!
smile.png

smile.png
tongue.png

That's a good sign! Holding the wings out from the body is a sign of them being hot. If it's warm out there, that could very well be part of the problem.

As for keeping her in the house, that's up to you. If she's fine with being in the house, then I'd say go for it. Especially if she's not eating or drinking much. If she starts to get lonely, you can always bring in a buddy from outside to keep her company. Sometimes another chicken pecking at the food is enough encouragement for her to eat more.

The best advice I can give you right now is keep her drinking since she's losing a lot of water in her diarrhea.

Thank you so much!!! We put her outside, and now I'm about to make her drink some water. Thank you!
big_smile.png

Quote:

Thank you so much!!! We put her outside, and now I'm about to make her drink some water. Thank you!
big_smile.png

I'm glad she's feeling better! Let us know how she's doing, hopefully she'll be on the mend tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom