Swollen face and neck - any ideas? (pictures!)

andrujhon

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Hello!
Yesterday we noticed one of our hens had developed a swollen neck. This morning she's been acting a bit lethargic but is still eating. I've searched through numerous threads here and on other sites, but haven't found anything concrete about what it could be.

Yesterday it was mostly just the neck area under her beak, but today it's spread a little to below her eyes, and in some parts the large squashy (it feels fleshy) lump that's formed has turned blue. It was difficult to get a good picture, but hopefully this is an ok indication. We're new to keeping chickens, so I've never encountered a bird with a compacted/sour crop, but I can't feel anything unusual where her crop is.

If anyone could give us advice on whether it's something we need to take seriously, or something which will resolve itsself, I'd be super greatful!

Thanks
Andru

Last edited:
Wow that looks scary! I would be very nervous, but I have no idea what it could be. Did she perhaps get into something she may have had an allergic reaction to?

I would think it's something to worry about...she looks like she swallowed a golf ball.

Hi all, thanks for the responses! I had a look inside her mouth earlier and I couldn't see anything stuck or anything that seemed out of the ordinary, although I'm not exactly an expert on what ordinary is here! I just went out to try and round her up for a photo but she's not with the rest of the flock (not too unusual so hopefully it's nothing bad!) I'll try to get a photo when I'm putting them away tonight.

Thanks

Bee/wasp/spider sting or bite? Especially if this came on really suddenly. If it swells to much she may loose her airway. Do you have a vet who could see her? If it is some kind of bite or sting I would think she'd need a fast acting anti-inflammatory like Prednisone or Cortisone to reduce the response, if those meds are even used in birds. Vet or someone else with that info would have to answer that one.

Bee/wasp/spider sting or bite? Especially if this came on really suddenly. If it swells to much she may loose her airway. Do you have a vet who could see her? If it is some kind of bite or sting I would think she'd need a fast acting anti-inflammatory like Prednisone or Cortisone to reduce the response, if those meds are even used in birds. Vet or someone else with that info would have to answer that one.
I think they are used, I'll look in Plumb's later. But for now, this probably has dosing info:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

Back
Top Bottom