Swollen face around eye and a sore on rooster - pics incl.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunflower, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Hi everyone and my fellow chicken lovers! [​IMG] What an awful week, we lost our sweet little banty rooster last week and now my big boy, Arthur, has a swollen face and a lump with weird opening near his beak. I think my banty, Cap'n Jack either had heart failure or may have had a respiratory infection. I want to get Art's issue under control so he doesn't end up next to Cap'n Jack under the rose bush. [​IMG]

I called the vet w/ his symptoms and asked which antibiotic at the farm supply I should get. the vet she said to use visine on the eye and an antibiotic cream on his sore. If no improvement, bring him in. She didn't address which antibiotic to get. I understand they need him to come in to make their $, but I am reluctant to take him in due to cost. This summer a rash on his wing cost me $85. I think I can treat him at home. farm supply is out of the small bag of Duramycin-10. Are there any other recommendations?

Art is a 5-6 year old leghorn, I have a small backyard flock of 8 now, mix breeds. They have a dry ventilated coop and get greens, organic feed, store bought layer pellets, scratch and leftovers everyday. Today I put VetRx on his beak, a few drops in his mouth and massaged some in his comb. I put some antibiotic on his sore. Any input is appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    Good side for comparison. The red tint in background is from a heat lamp.

[​IMG]
    View from front, see how the right side stands out?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the swelling is soft, and the sore kind of dents in and there is kind of hole in the middle. It does have antibiotic on it.

2. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Please anyone? I was hoping to get some input before I head in to town this morning. His sore is bigger today. [​IMG] And he is starting to slow down, not as peppy as usual. [​IMG]

3. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Art doesn't have a sore, it just the side of his beak or lip area. Does this appear to be a sinus infection? That's all I can think that it might be.

4. jlblock01

jlblock01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Deleted post

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    That looks like a Canker sore.

6. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    That's what I thought at first too, that it looks like a canker sore, but it's not, it's just his lip area stretched out. Your hen is so cute,[​IMG] I don't know what that is either. A friend that does wild animal rehab told me to use a warm compress on his face and try garlic water. I just broke up a clove of garlic in a gallon of water.
    I ended up getting the duramycin at a local farm store that is NOT a chain. They have a whole bucket of the medication. Now to get it IN my rooster!! LOL I finally ended up soaking some bread in it, so at least he's getting a little in him. He keeps taking it and then giving it to the hens, so I have to treat him separately. lol

7. jlblock01

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Deleted post

8. jlblock01

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Deleted pics

9. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    I've been thread napped!! LOL [​IMG]JLBlock, you need to start a new thread, it's confusing to have 2 different chicken issues in one thread. Good luck w/ your issue, I hope you get some answers, I unfortunately have not. [​IMG]

10. jlblock01

Jan 6, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Oh NO sooo sorry! I had started a thread but hadn't gotten any responses ... when it seemed so similar I got really excited!! I will take my extra pics down! Should I take the other one down as well? I don't want to cause you not to get the information you need for your sick birdie!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by