Swollen face, but just on one side. Infectious Bronchitis? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andythescot, Jun 10, 2011.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Hi everyone, this seemed to happen last year as well, right around this date. One of my BOs had a swollen face/eye area on just one side of her head. I just noticed it this morning. I'm very attentive to the chickens, but I'm not sure if she had the swelling yesterday because I wasn't home. But it is definitely very recent.

Last year we had a similar problem with a different buff orpington. I wound up taking her to the vet because I was concerned it was infectious bronchitis and not just an infection brought on by hurting herself.

What do you all think it looks like? I'm relatively inexperienced, so all thoughts are appreciated!

Good Side
    [​IMG]

Bad Side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What should I do?!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    any other symptoms? I had a bird get that a couple years ago and I flushed the eye with saline and the swelling went away [​IMG] I wouldn't jump on the doom and gloom train yet....

3. andythescot

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Nope, no other symptoms.
    I could just be working myself up over nothing..

Should I isolate her from the flock?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would separate her and flush the eye a few times throughout the day. keep a close eye on her, if it is anything else I have been told other symptoms show up quickly(within 24hrs)

5. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I would isolate her to watch for symptoms. If she has infectious broncitous....She would have other signs like runny nose, bubbly watery eyes, Gurgling in the threat, sneezing.....And so on. But she could just not be showing those signs yet. If you had a hen last year with the same issue, it could have spread to your whole flock. But if the hen from last year did not develope any other symptoms....It could just be something as simple as alergies. Watch and listen to her for a couple weeks.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:What did the vet say about your BO that you took last year if it's similar this time? If it was infectious bronchitis, you would also have wrinkled eggs and the whites would be watery.
    I would flush her eye with saline solution in case debris is present. If it doesnt clear up, it's definitely a respiratory disease. Here's a link to the different types of respiratory diseases and possible treatments.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. andythescot

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    The vet gave us anti-biotics that she had to swallow, and then some sort of eye drops.. But that was an infection brought on by her getting poked by a thorn or something.

This year's hen's eye doesn't look the same at all.. so I think its a completely different issue. There is a little bit of a clear excess liquid in the corner of her eye as well as a tiny piece of dirt. Could the liquid and the swelling be the result of the dirt? We haven't had access to the saline solution until today, so we'll be able to flush her eyes.

8. Rishua

Rishua New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    andythescot--Please, please let me know when you find out! I am having the exact same problem in my flock. It is only ever on the right side. It clears up after a few days (90% better). There have been some inconsistent eggs with the first one who got it, but otherwise no noticeable changes in behavior. I have not seen any discharge or foaming at the eye, and there is no mass. It's just a bit swollen on the right side. If I find out first I'll be sure to let you know. I have six different breeds (eight chickens total). It's not dependent on breed or gender, for sure.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Is she sneezing? I have a silkie mix roo that looked like that but he was also sneezing. Took him to the vet and they said sinus infection. Had me give him Duramycin for 7 days. That took care of it swelling wnet down in about 3 days.

10. Rishua

Rishua New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    I haven't noticed sneezing, but I'll be on the lookout for it. If the flock has infectious bronchitis or coryza are they done for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by