swollen face that comes and goes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Hi All,
    I am at a loss here for what to do. About 3 weeks ago, my barred rock started limping and stopped laying eggs. We cleaned her foot and found no cuts but it looked like she might have had an ingrown toenail so we waited it out and a week or so later she was walking just fine. Then, I noticed her earlobe on one side was swollen about a week ago. She was acting fine, so I decided to just keep an eye on her. Now her face and been swelling and unswelling for the past few days. In the morning when I let them out, she has a nice bright red face, but periodically throughout the day it turns to grey. She has become a little more flighty, but she is still asserting herself at the top of the pecking order with the other girls, and while I dont think she is eating as much crumble as she usually does, she still goes for all of the greens I give them and I have seen her drink as well.
    I would prefer not to use any antibiotics, especially if I dont know what it is I'm dealing with here. I have looked up respiratory diseases, but nothing seems to fit.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Roz

2. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    ok, nobody has had a response so I wanted to bump this incase anyone missed this. I think the intermittent swelling has gone down and I saw our pullet have a normal poop today, but her face still goes from red to grey before our eyes. Does anyone know what this is??? I am baffled. She hasnt laid an egg in almost 4 weeks now (I think).

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Is she sneezing? I have a little roo that I took to the vet yesterday. He has a sinus infection. he is sneezing with clear dischagre from his nose and one side of his face is swollen under his eye. I have to give him antibotics for 2 weeks

4. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    She isnt sneezing. My whole flock of 10 has been sneezing on and off for a couple of months now though. The friend (who has raised several thousands of chickens) who I got them from said that the sneezing could be because of dust. She has never had to use anything other than bag balm for cuts on her chickens...not antibiotics or anything. I have never seen any discharge from their noses. What I have found online says sneezing is bad, but there is nothing else abnormal that the "girls" are doing.

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:I had a bad one... my teeth went numb and my face was swollen. Poor guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by