Swollen face what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amillecay, Mar 7, 2012.

1. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    I went outside and found one of my girls sitting in a nesting box thinking she might be broody i walked up to her and... it turned out that she wasn't her eye is shut I would say just a tad bit swollen her left wattle is quite swollen (this is just on her left side of face) and pretty much everything in between also she has a bump that seems to be dried up blood which i'm guessing is the spot that is making eveything swollen. Her mouth pretty much on the left side has a ton of gross sticky slaiva. I have separated her from the others she is now just sitting there she is moving though because I went back in there and she was sitting in the nesting box. She has eaten a tiny bit of food and I havn't seen or gotten her to drink much. The other don't seem to pick on her too much everyonce in a while she gets chased by on of them but of course thats normal. What in the world is going on? Does anyone have any ideas??

2. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    also her poo is all normal. I need some help here!!!!

3. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Get her well away from the other birds in the first instance. Like, in a comfy nestbox in the garage or something.

If there's blood, you really don't want the others seeing that, and if she's poorly enough to want to sit on the nest all the time she needs somewhere quiet to recouperate.

Can you possibly get hold of her and clean her face up a little so you can see what you're dealing with? And could you post any photos?

4. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    I might be able to get some photos i cleaned it up as much as I could I am going out there now to see about her

5. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    Well forgot to get those darn photos but she seems to be better it is less swollen and I caught her drinking some water so i would say it will be better tomorrow not all the way but better

6. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    She could have been stung by something, or poked her face on a sharp object in the coop. I hope she gets better.

7. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    yeah that was my thought that she just poked herself on something I am going to check around in the coop tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by