Swollen Face - What Would You Do?

What would you do?

• Total voters
With a good looking eye, clean dry nares and a clean mouth, I won't swear to it, but I think she took a sting or bite. I'd keep a close eye on it to ensure it doesn't develop infection. Perhaps rub a little vaseline on the swelling to keep the skin supple and pliable.

I’d clean off the dried eye drainage with a wet compress, and put a dab of antibiotic ointment into the eye. The big red bulb swelling looks like it could be from a peck or a sting. I would watch it, and consider giving a dose of enrofloxacin or Tylan, just in case it is infectious to get a head start on it. Also consider giving a 1/4 tablet of benadryl to see if it helps swelling go down.

I would try to open the eye to see how it looked, inspect the swelling looking for any cuts that would explain the swelling, apply antibiotic ointment and watch it to see if it gets better.

I would drain the swelling and look for an old injury. A hollow needle works best. Then clean with a Saline rinse (Boil 1 quart of water for 10 minutes, add 2 teaspoons of salt and dissolve. Use once completely cooled.)

On a side note, a swollen face can be a symptom of the Bird Flu. I haven't done too deep of study on that, so I don't know for sure if that's what it has.

Back
Top Bottom