Swollen face & wing dragging

Pbaxter

Chirping
May 21, 2020
Any ideas on what could be wrong with my Chocolate Orpington? Just woke up to his face looking like this. He is also dragging his right wing.

Attachments

• C836CF67-11D1-4978-A651-0FA0DB45D76B.jpeg
    C836CF67-11D1-4978-A651-0FA0DB45D76B.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 5
  • B66F955C-564B-491A-BA60-50FB3BBD4D5C.jpeg
    B66F955C-564B-491A-BA60-50FB3BBD4D5C.jpeg
    681.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 841D1E06-668F-43E0-953A-86ECB3B82AFE.jpeg
    841D1E06-668F-43E0-953A-86ECB3B82AFE.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DD0F5D10-56A4-4CED-B192-B59BFE7888D4.jpeg
    DD0F5D10-56A4-4CED-B192-B59BFE7888D4.jpeg
    787.6 KB · Views: 1
Can he stand?
Get a photo of him standing by himself so we can see his stance and how he holds the wing.

Any bruising, swelling or wounds under, around the wing, any broken bones? Any wounds underneath him, have you checked?

Where are you located in the world?

Can he stand?
Get a photo of him standing by himself so we can see his stance and how he holds the wing.

Any bruising, swelling or wounds under, around the wing, any broken bones? Any wounds underneath him, have you checked?

Where are you located in the world?
I am glad you prompted me to check the wing better. His wing is EXTREMELY swollen and heavy; Hot to the touch. When I picked him up to inspect, he started spewing slimy serum from his mouth. He stands on his own fine...but it seems the wing is so swollen he can't hold it up. We are in Arkansas, United States. Its his right wing that is swollen and the left side of his face.

Oh poor guy!

Could he have been injured or bitten by something? I see a purple/blue spot on the face where the swelling is.

Check him all over for more swelling/bruising. Look through his feathers to the skin.

Spewing slimy liquid from the crop, it's not emptying. Is he pooping?

Is vet care an option at all?
If not, do you have any medications/antibiotics on hand?

In this case, I'd move him to an area where you can monitor him.
Check his wing swelling for any abrasions, broken skin or even tiny wing bones that may be broken and coming through the skin.

Do offer fresh food/water, make those available. But if his crop is not emptying well, he may not eat, hopefully he'll drink a bit to stay hydrated.

Being bitten is a possibility here since we have snakes and such, but I'm not certain. My son found him like this when he let him out of the coop this morning. I've moved him to a separate kennel so I can monitor his behavior/pooping/etc.
I'm confused by the fact that its his right wing, but left side of his face. My neighbor has worked at a vet's office for years and just gave him a penicillin injection. She said to do it for 2 more days and just see if that helps. Thanks so much for responding...I greatly appreciate it and any other feedback or advice would be great.

It is a bit confusing since it's on opposite sides.
This is when you wish they could tell you things!

I'm glad you were able to give him some meds. Hopefully they will help.
I'm not sure what else you can do but keep him hydrated. See that his crop is emptying too.

Back
Top Bottom