SWOLLEN FEET!! Need helpppp! (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Raekins, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Raekins

Raekins Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Its been below freezing temps and all but one of my chickens are doing fine. My Rhode Island Red has been acting weird and hasnt been moving much, normally shes quite energetic. I picked her up today and noticed her feet looked absolutley horrible and felt like ice, im thinking they are frostbitten. I brought her inside, set her in my bathroom where its extremely warm and she went right to sleep. I just got back from work and picked her up again and her feet were alot warmer but she still wont walk. Any ideas?? Is she going to lose her feet?!? I dont know what to do. Any advice helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what does the bottom of the feet look like

3. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    The bottom of her feet are swollen, same color as the rest of her foot though..

4. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Does anybody know if this is frostbite?! Im scared my chicken is going to die.. She hasnt perked up at all and shes my baby.. ANY help would be amazing.

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    is she walkin on them? is there been any more swelling or has it gone down?, i am sorry i didnt reply as i wasnt sure what excactly it was, you being in wa i would guess it would be frost bite what was the chicken doin when you found her? has there been any more discoloration?
    ill keep asking ?s as i think of them and well figure this out using the chicken health hand book we have

6. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I am pretty positive its frostbite now, her feet have gotten alot darker and are still swollen. The tips of one of her toes has gotten extremely dark. She walks on them alittle bit to move to her food or water but is extremely wobbly. She wont move much at all, she just sits in a little ball and sleeps. Ughh. Thank you for your help.

7. bantybev

bantybev Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    SW Michigan
    still looking through forums for something to help...but do think you should start with giving aspirin.
    found this quote on another thread.....might help the poor thing with pain........
    "half of an 88mg. aspirin every 4-6 hours as directed by vet. It's fine for them."

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:yea its sounds like frostbite

9. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Thanks everyone, Ive broughten all my chickens inside and the one with the frostbitten feet is trying to move a bit more, her feet are getting a bit more discolored but the swelling looks like it has gone down a little bit.

10. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Frostbit and all black parts are dead, will come off. Her right leg has cold blains/sores all the way up so that worries me. If it was only her foot, especially that right one, she could lose most of her toes and still hop around but up the leg is another story. When its cold out and their coop is not heated a deep bedding of clean straw would ensure they stay warm or if you have a perch they sleep on, they need to be able to cover their feet and legs with their feathers and be out of wind/breezes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by