swollen feet on all chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rowan1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. rowan1

rowan1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    hi i tried the search but still am puzzled. i have 1 cochin rooster and 19 assorted hens i got in the mail as day olds in march 08. they all have swollen feet and my poor rooster has it the worst. they live in a 8x12 coop and have a 400 sq foot run. when we're home they get to free range. they're on layena and get treats but according to them not enough. lol. i use pine shavings in the coop and nest boxes and have used de as a preventative since they moved out of the house. when i let them free range today they had their usual energy, their combs and wattles are red and any poop i saw looked nromal. any adivice will be appreciated. i'm completely lost with a computer (reason i don't post much). i am trying to get photo on here.

2. Yes, a photo would be great. Get you pics on your computer somewhere where you know it will be. Go to the uploads in the above banner and click this. Browse for you pic and upload it using the check box to resize it to the forum size. copy the forun size jib jab and post a few sentences and then paste your img picture. It really is pretty easey. The mods have done a stupingous job to make this easy. Thy also have a section on how to do this on the site.
    Could be bumble foot ??

3. rowan1

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    thanks rimshoes. you're instructions sound easy but i can't get past the uploads page. i browse and find the photo but when i hit submit it just sits there, i am on aol dial up. maybe that's the problem. i'm really new to chickens but i didn't think it was bumble foot because i didn't see any black scabs and i checked all but 3 chickens. it's both feet on all chickens it doesn't seem to hurt them, even when i touch it, it is a little squishy.

4. rowan1

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    well it's past my bedtime. i'll check for more advice before work. unfortunately i can't login in work there are restrictions. hopefully i'll be able to upload tomorrow. thanks in advance of any help. i don't want their problem to get worse.[​IMG]

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Try googling "bumble foot". It's a bacterial infection of the foot/feet and can cause death if not treated soon enough with strong antibiotics.

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    go to www.tinypic.com .... click "browse"....then find ur pick and click "open" and then click "Upload Now" then right click and copy the code under where it says "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" and then paste it into your post!! hope that helps

7. AOL dial up ? Like OMG. Let us see. Do you have an program on your computer that lets you size down the pics ? somthing like paint or infraview would do. I suppose that you do not have a lot becuase of the dial up thing. If you can get the pics down to a decent size, say 600x800, you may get a chance at getting the pics uploaded to BYC. Otherwise, you can use Photobucket.com and basically the same thing happens. I do not know if Photobucket is more forgiving than the BYC uploads.

Keep trying. If you do not think it is bumble foot and I apoplogize, because I have never encountered it, then at least other could give you a better idea of what it is with a photo.

8. rowan1

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    hi krypton i'm trying your way right now it is still saying uploading...please wait i can't stand AOL. i googled bumblefoot, i don't think matches my chickens. i didn't see any scabs, black or otherwise on them. they all have it, on both feet, all toes. one good thing - i got home after dark today and went to check on them. they seem to have gotten better. not as red or swollen. i live in central jersey. it was alittle warmer today. do you think it could be a result of the cold? well i'll check to see if the photo finished uploading rowan

9. rowan1

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    [​IMG]ttp://i38.tinypic.com/jj5jkk.jpg[/IMG]

hi i hope this worked please let me know

guess it didn't work anyone else have suggestions on what is wrong with my chickens and how some one not familiar w/ computers get can a photo on here?

thanks in advance
    rowan

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I fixed it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by