swollen feet, toes and leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smwoodie, Jan 24, 2010.

1. smwoodie

smwoodie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    I have a Rhode Island Red that has swollen feet and toes and the leg just above the foot. The toes are normally yellow, but they are turning black. She is very stiff walking. She can not bend her toes to walk. Help me! How do I treat this??? Thanks for taking time to read this cry of help!!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Can U post pics? May be leg mites? [​IMG]

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I've never seen this but my guess would be frostbite or an infected injury. I would soak it in tepid water that had white Dial bar soap dissolved in it then apply antibiotic ointment. That's just an idea. Maybe someone with experience is online.

4. smwoodie

smwoodie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Her some pics of my chickens feet. Someone suggested that maybe it is frostbite, and we have had a couple of weeks of single digits temperatures and below recently. I know her comb is frostbite because it has turned black. Can someone please help know how to care for her? Thank you Thank you!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Very interesting! I dont know what it is, but Id be interested in knowing.
    The comb should just resolve itself...the black area will fall off. My roo lost half of his comb. It turned black and part of it just shrivled away. I dont believe in cutting the combs off because you may get infection.
    The good news is that it doesnt look like standard bumblefoot....but it could be infection of some sort....
    google poultry foot infection and click on images....google poultry leg mites and click on images....things like that and see if you see anything like it. Thats what I usually do.

Ill follow this...

6. nhchick

nhchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    This looks like frost bite but I don't know what to do for it. Do a search for it on this site and/or google.

7. amicus14

amicus14 New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Montana
    What did you do? I have the same thing happening... Did she make it? Did her feet survive? Any lost toes?

Mine chicken has been inside for 2 days now and I've been soaking her feet in betadine each night, and wrapping them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by