Swollen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PotterWatch, Apr 20, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A friend of mine asked me to look at one of her hens today who hasn't been laying and started limping. The hen is definitely limping on both feet and they both seem a swollen around what I would call the ankle area. My first thought was bumblefoot but it doesn't look like typical bumblefoot. There are no areas of darkness on the feet that look like the infection usually seen with bumblefoot or any sign of a wound. What else could be causing the swelling and pain? How should she treat this? Thanks!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Post pics if you can get some, are any of her toes crooked or look dislocated?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have any pictures unfortunately since it isn't my bird. Her toes all look fine and none of them are swollen, just her ankle area is swollen.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Did you look on the bottom of her feet for the bumblefoot too? If you didnt see the dark in color scab, I would suspect that she possibly jumped down from a high roost or something of that nature and sprained or pulled something. In which case rest and relaxation with seperation from the others would be best. It might take a long time to heal. Another possibility is gout. It is caused by dehydration and too much protein in the diet. Treatment is normally making proper feed adjustments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by