Swollen foamy eye

dol 0413

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
this is Uva, she was fine when we let her out to free range about an hour later her eye was swollen and foamy. We separated her from her sisters. I hope she just has something in her eye. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks so much!

Swelling of the area around the eye can be from a peck wound if you notice a peck mark, but usually is from mycoplasma (MG or CRD) or coryza, which are respiratory diseases. Fowl cholera also can cause swelling around the eye. For those diseases many would choose to cull sick birds since they become carriers. Be sure to isolate her from the others. An antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable may help symptoms, but won't cure it. Here is a link to read about those diseases so that you can compare symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks for the link, I will take a look. I am still hoping she just has something in her eye:} we love her lots! This morning she didn't have the foamy look it was more of a clear film. She is eating and drinking.

Last edited:
She has been on Tylan for 2 days and she looks the same. My other girls are fine. I was hoping the meds would work a lot quicker. Any thoughts? She is acting normal, eating and drinking.

Can anyone help?? She is not better after 7 days on Tylan.. She is eating and drinking and gives us an egg a day. Seems she is getting worse, now it looks like puss covering 1/2 of her eye I tried to wipe it but nothing comes out. I'm not sure where or how else to post this but if anyone knows what else to to try, I am open to suggestions. I have 4 girls so if she has MG or CRD it's OK they are our pets and the other 3 have been exposed already. Our other 3 are showing no signs of being sick. She has been alone going on 3 weeks now and she is not happy about that. She does not have any other symptoms, no smell or discharge from anywhere she is active.Thanks

I'm sorry she is not doing better. I have seen pictures of other hens here on BYC with the swelling like hers, and usually there is solid pus inside there. You are using a very good drug (and expensive) on her. Could you have her treated by a local vet? The vet could give her Baytril or something like it that might be more powerful.

I was using 1tsp per gallon of Tylan and yesterday I started 4tsp per gallon I read to try that for 3 days then 2tsp for 6 days. I can take her to the vet but I was afraid they would recommend putting her down and I wanted to give her a chance. Is there a way I can get the puss out? I think if she is not better after the 3 days I will take her to the vet. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help!

Some people recommend lancing and squeezing it out, but that is pretty invasive, and since I don't have experience with type of thing, I can only mention it. I would try Baytril from the vet, but I hope the increased Tylan helps. There was a case similar to yours last year that I can't find, and they treated it for weeks and weeks, plus tried removing the pus without success, and finally, it started getting smaller after a vet gave Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom