Swollen foot, Gimpy and loosing weight, Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ElioraImmanuel, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    One of our Light Brahmas has a swollen foot is gimpy and is loosing weight. How do I treat it?

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    try searching for bumblefoot, should bring up links with how to identify and treat.

this link is good too.

3. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    which link?

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Not all lameness is Bumblefoot. There are diseases that will cause lameness, too. If you don't see an obvious site of entry for a foreign body in the pad(s) of the foot, it may be disease and not Bumblefoot (which is caused by injury - like a cut, thorn or sliver in the foot that becomes infected with staph or strep bacteria). Here's one example of a common disease that causes lameness, but there are others:

Mycoplasma synoviae

Synonyms: MS, infectious synovitis, synovitis, silent air sac

Species affected: chickens and turkeys.

Clinical signs: Birds infected with the synovitis form show lameness, followed by lethargy, reluctance to move, swollen joints, stilted gait, loss of weight, and formation of breast blisters. Birds infected with the respiratory form exhibit respiratory distress. Greenish diarrhea is common in dying birds (see Table 1 ). Clinically, the disease in indistinguishable from MG.

Transmission: MS is transmitted from infected breeder to progeny via the egg. Within a flock, MS is spread by direct contact with infected birds as well as through airborne particles over short distances.

Treatment: Recovery is slow for both respiratory and synovitis forms. Several antibiotics are variably effective. The most effective are tylosin, erthromycin, spectinomycin, lincomycin, and chlorotectracycline. These antibiotics can be given by injection while some can be administered in the feed or drinking water. These treatments are most effective when the antibiotics are injected.

Prevention: Eradication is the best and only sure control. Do not use breeder replacements from flocks that have had MS. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors for MS.

If you suspect disease and not injury, you may wish to consult a vet. If you cannot afford one, contact your local agricultural extension agency for referral to a USDA or State Veterinarian.

5. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Is it possible for Brahmas to get infected in the follicles of the feathers on their feet?

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

7. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    We've been soaking the foot 2 times a day, keeping her on dry, clean bedding and feeding her well. The swellings gone down, but she definitely has an infection in her foot, but no site of wound entry.

What can I give her? How much? Where should I inject? What gauge needle? I'm an RN and have given shots to our alpacas, but never a chicken. Help?

I need advice, the decision to give any med is mine and if it doesn't work or turns out badly, I'll blame no one. Thanks!

8. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Anyone?

9. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    And no bumblefoot scab, correct??

Sorry - I don't know how to give an injection. Can you give her an antibiotic in her water?

10. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    I can not see a wound---open or healing/scabbed, but she does have inflammtion of the 1st metatarsal. Her foot is swollen and hot.

I would love to give her antibiotics, but I do not know what to give her. Anyone have a suggestion?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by