Swollen Foot/Leg - 1 day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starchick2, May 6, 2011.

1. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I am a teacher and decided to hatch chicks in the classroom with my students. We finally had two chicks hatch last night; however, one of the chick's feet/leg is very swollen and red. The chick is unable to walk on it and it looks like it hurts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am going to try to post pictures so you can get a better idea of what is going on (this is my first ever post).

Thanks everyone!

Well, the message board will not allow me to post any pictures because I am new.....hmmmmm???

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. starchick2

May 6, 2011
    Here is a picture of the foot/leg....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. starchick2

May 6, 2011
    Another look...

[​IMG]

4. starchick2

May 6, 2011
    The chick on the right, closest leg in the picture.

[​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Do you have a picture with both legs, so I can see the difference in the two?

I am wondering if the chick has a slipped tendon. I have had a few of those, and try as I might, I have not yet been able to fix them. Here is one chick I kept for a few weeks.... it never did get any better. He just hopped around on one leg, and sorta drug this leg.

[​IMG]

6. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Hmmm... I think a slipped tendon would generally be more out to the side, but I'm not sure... You might try using the band-aid method to keep the chick's legs straight, make little hobbles out of band-aids (http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html) to hopefully keep that leg from going out to one side - poor little chickies can dislocate their hips at that young of age [​IMG]. Was he that way since he hatched, or is this a new development?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by