Swollen foot, no bumble foot scab

Kmcatx

Chirping
Feb 26, 2022
Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old EE with a swollen and painful right foot. She has significant swelling on top between her toes and her foot pad is firm and enlarged.
6 months ago I took her to vet because of swelling and bumble foot scab on the other (left) foot. The vet noted swelling on bottom of right foot and debrided both feet. The foot with the bumble foot scab has cleared up but the right foot has not improved. Vet drained pus from the right foot but there was not a “plug”. She has been on multiple rounds of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories prescribed by the vet after debriding procedures (vet went in a second time with no different result). I don’t get the sense this vet knows what else to try and he speculated once that it might be scar tissue, however, that was prior to swelling between the toes, which has gotten worse in last couple months. I am reluctant to have them cut on her foot again since there never has been a scab on her foot pad or even a ”plug” inside.

She limps a lot, stand on one leg and is clearly uncomfortable. her legs and toes seem fine so I don’t think it is gout which is the only thing that has been offered as an alternative to bumble foot. I lowered the roosting bars to 12” months ago and that hasn’t helped. My 5 hens free range and none of the other ladies have had feet problems.

photos of both feet are below — top bad foot, bottom bad foot, bottom good foot, view of top good foot and swollen one in back
would Appreciate any advice people might have
thank you

Attachments

• 68A733AD-9946-405C-B676-9EB866A42995.jpeg
    68A733AD-9946-405C-B676-9EB866A42995.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 65
  • B6CA58DF-58CF-44EB-BEF4-EFB7E417556A.jpeg
    B6CA58DF-58CF-44EB-BEF4-EFB7E417556A.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 5C7D804C-F578-4B26-B923-860973AD5C37.jpeg
    5C7D804C-F578-4B26-B923-860973AD5C37.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 76BB85F8-6328-4091-91BD-8D8FD7CEEBDF.jpeg
    76BB85F8-6328-4091-91BD-8D8FD7CEEBDF.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi! I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have been doing so much to try to help your hen. One of my hens had a foot that looked like the top picture. Upon closer inspection, that area is where a lot of yucky gunk can become trapped because of the way the foot is. Luckily my hens foot began to improve once I started to spread her toe and foot pad and clean in that hole like area. It took about 2 weeks for the skin to go back to normal and was no longer extra space for more yucky gunk to collect and build up. I know this is going to be difficult unless you have some help, but any chance you can get a picture of the bottom of that foot with the swelling between the toes, showing that crevice? I hope that makes sense.

Hi! I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have been doing so much to try to help your hen. One of my hens had a foot that looked like the top picture. Upon closer inspection, that area is where a lot of yucky gunk can become trapped because of the way the foot is. Luckily my hens foot began to improve once I started to spread her toe and foot pad and clean in that hole like area. It took about 2 weeks for the skin to go back to normal and was no longer extra space for more yucky gunk to collect and build up. I know this is going to be difficult unless you have some help, but any chance you can get a picture of the bottom of that foot with the swelling between the toes, showing that crevice? I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate the note. Did yours have the “manure ball” problem (can’t remember what else people call it)? I have looked between her toes on bottom of foot in hopes that packed dirt, etc. was the issue, but I didn’t find anything. It all looked really clear. Won’t hurt for me to look again though.

Appreciate the note. Did yours have the “manure ball” problem (can’t remember what else people call it)? I have looked between her toes on bottom of foot in hopes that packed dirt, etc. was the issue, but I didn’t find anything. It all looked really clear. Won’t hurt for me to look again though.
Thanks! I didn't know there was an actual name for it, but yes, it looked just like the area between your birds toes

Last edited:
This actually just happened to two of my chickens! It was hard to notice at first because it was wedged in the crease in between the bump, the pad of the foot, and the toe.
I had my brother hold her while gently squeezed the bump and picked all the poop/dirt out with tweezers. I then irrigated it to make sure I got it all out. I put a gauze pad with triple antibiotic ointment on it then wrapped it with medical tape.
This was about 4 days ago, I’m still rebandaging the feet every 48 hours at least. They look great! The holes are healing and new tissue is growing.

I know I’m a little late to reply to this post but hope your hen is doing well!

This actually just happened to two of my chickens! It was hard to notice at first because it was wedged in the crease in between the bump, the pad of the foot, and the toe.
I had my brother hold her while gently squeezed the bump and picked all the poop/dirt out with tweezers. I then irrigated it to make sure I got it all out. I put a gauze pad with triple antibiotic ointment on it then wrapped it with medical tape.
This was about 4 days ago, I’m still rebandaging the feet every 48 hours at least. They look great! The holes are healing and new tissue is growing.

I know I’m a little late to reply to this post but hope your hen is doing well!
Glad your chicken is doing well.

Im gettin ready to take mine to emery vet on Monday. Foot is looking bad.

Attachments

• D705ED3A-EDFF-4520-BA30-7776422F8385.jpeg
    D705ED3A-EDFF-4520-BA30-7776422F8385.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 41
Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old EE with a swollen and painful right foot. She has significant swelling on top between her toes and her foot pad is firm and enlarged.
6 months ago I took her to vet because of swelling and bumble foot scab on the other (left) foot. The vet noted swelling on bottom of right foot and debrided both feet. The foot with the bumble foot scab has cleared up but the right foot has not improved. Vet drained pus from the right foot but there was not a “plug”. She has been on multiple rounds of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories prescribed by the vet after debriding procedures (vet went in a second time with no different result). I don’t get the sense this vet knows what else to try and he speculated once that it might be scar tissue, however, that was prior to swelling between the toes, which has gotten worse in last couple months. I am reluctant to have them cut on her foot again since there never has been a scab on her foot pad or even a ”plug” inside.

She limps a lot, stand on one leg and is clearly uncomfortable. her legs and toes seem fine so I don’t think it is gout which is the only thing that has been offered as an alternative to bumble foot. I lowered the roosting bars to 12” months ago and that hasn’t helped. My 5 hens free range and none of the other ladies have had feet problems.

photos of both feet are below — top bad foot, bottom bad foot, bottom good foot, view of top good foot and swollen one in back
would Appreciate any advice people might have
thank y

It has been 3 weeks. I’ve been cleaning her foot, applying drawing salve and wrapping it daily. I am ready to take her to emergency vet since it looks so bad.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

Attachments

• 9C2D7D33-F4BE-4A36-A127-CF78ED6BCC09.jpeg
    9C2D7D33-F4BE-4A36-A127-CF78ED6BCC09.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 75E3B02C-9D42-41AE-A827-E4F6A941583B.jpeg
    75E3B02C-9D42-41AE-A827-E4F6A941583B.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 36
Do you have an update on your hen? I
It has been 3 weeks. I’ve been cleaning her foot, applying drawing salve and wrapping it daily. I am ready to take her to emergency vet since it looks so bad.

Does this look familiar to anyone?
Do you have an update on your hen? I have almost an identical problem with an easter egger hen around the same age. Mine hasn't gotten that bad yet, but I don't want it to! Any information you may have learned from your vet experience would be appreciated

Hi, sorry, just noticed your post. Yes, it is getting better but has been a long road. What does yours look like now?

Back
Top Bottom