Swollen Foot on Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gr8tfuldaddy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. gr8tfuldaddy

gr8tfuldaddy New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Hello...

First, thank you for your help. We have a rooster that was on our property when we first moved here. We believe he is about 8 years old. Last year he had a swollen foot, which opened and bled. He was unable to put weight on it without being in apparent pain. Then out of nowhere the swelling went down and he was better.

Now it has reappeared and seems to have gotten much worse? We have tried taking him inside and washing it out. We applied blue kote antiseptic while giving him tetracycline. There was no real improvement. It seems like he has scabs on the wound, but not black that we noticed. There are multiple openings that are bleeding.

We are thinking it is bumble foot? Here is a picture of the wound, can you please help?

[​IMG]

2. gr8tfuldaddy

gr8tfuldaddy New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    anyone?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Without seeing the bottom of his foot. I think it is bumble foot. There are many good threads here regarding that. Search and rescue. Good luck.

4. gr8tfuldaddy

gr8tfuldaddy New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and additional information. Here is two photos that show the bottom and top of his foot more clearly.

The foot is warmer than the other one, his heart is beating and the foot is warmer than the other one.

We took him inside and lowered his area to keep him off the foot.

Can you please confirm if this looks like Bumble Foot, we can't afford to keep mistreating nor do we want him to endure anymore pain. this is painful to watch, he is a good man.

Top of his foot.

[​IMG]

Bottom of his foot.

[​IMG]

5. sanfordmom

sanfordmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    I would search further for bumble foot. In the mean time a soak in warm water with Epsom salts would soften the foot and possibly allow some of the swelling to be alleviated. It is great that your are trying to help the poor old man [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    He has a severe case of scaley leg mites. I recommend that you soak his legs and feet in warm epsom salts water to loosen up the scales. Then apply vaseline or Nu-Stock to his feet and legs...slather either on his feet and legs heavily. Continue the soaking daily and slathering the feet and legs til the scales are smooth and laying flat. This might take time...have patience.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Agreed. Looks more like advanced scaly leg mites to me as well. If he has been around other chickens, they will need to be treated, too. And the entire coop and bedding will need to be treated as well.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You may also want to clip some of the longer nails a bit...just watch for the quick.

9. gr8tfuldaddy

gr8tfuldaddy New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the replies and wealth of information. We are going to start treating today with epsom salt soaks and vaseline/oil treatments. I will let you know as things progress for the better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by