Swollen foot pad, hurts to walk. Please help me.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Star Gypsy, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Star Gypsy

Star Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Coquille Oregon
    My favorite chicken has a swollen round foot pad. No redness, no scab, but is very hot to touch and she limps and doesn't like to stand on it. I looked at her foot like two weeks ago and i didn't see anything until today when I looked again because she was limping again. They are free range like they walk to everyones homes on the country road i live on and are welcomed at everyones place. I do not have a vet for chickens nor do I have the cash right this minute in week when I get paid as long as it isn't like five hundred bucks I can take her. What do I do with her now? She eats drinks and is happy always walking around everywhere. She is not depressed or anything. nOthing has changed other than her right foot pad and she is holding it up when standing still for too long. I have essential oils coming out of my ears because I sale doTerra so I am not sure if i could put like oregano or lavender or melaleuca or anything on it for natural antibacterial. I have dried herbs too lavender, basil, sage, oregano. I cut out some foam to make her a shoe. How do i fix her. I am a mom of three little girls and i can fix everything it seems like with home remedies so when i don't know what to do I panic and i start crying. I am crying right now. I have a cream i used on my cat because she got attacked by an opossum and its called Gentizol ( Gentamicin sulfate, betamethasone Valerate, Clotrimazole) but I am not sure if that is safe for my chickens.

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Is it possible that she landed on it wrong? Definitely let her rest, and perhaps apply some essential oils that can relieve pain.

3. Star Gypsy

Sep 7, 2015
    Coquille Oregon
    i am not sure but she is my adventurer. My chickens love me so much. i just call out "LADIES" and they come running from however far they have traveled. They are my best friends, way better than my cats and chihuahuas lol. They love to cuddle and sun bathe with me. i feel awful I didn't see this sooner.

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    she probably stepped on a thorn or something and has bumblefoot. I would pen her because predatots look for ones that limp. There is a lot on byc as this is common chicken problem.

I used to panic, too. I got help and learned better ways to cope. I try to dwell in solution. Some is a physiological reaction that just has to be endured. It is quite manageable with practice. I sure know how you feel, been right there.

1 person likes this.
  5. Star Gypsy

Sep 7, 2015
    Coquille Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. Star Gypsy

Sep 7, 2015
    Coquille Oregon
    I soaked her foot then applied some oregano coconut oil and made her a cushion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by