swollen foot/possible bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tchamberlain, Feb 23, 2013.

1. tchamberlain

tchamberlain New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    [​IMG]Hello folks,

I have a blue laced red Wyandot who stopped laying about 10 days ago and is broody. Though she moves and runs normally and without a limp I noticed one toe on her left foot sticks out to one side and is slight rotated. It is a bit swollen at the base of that toe too. No black scab on the pad, but I did notice a small black spot on the top of the top in the webbing. Doesn't look like the bumblefoot pics of other hens on this site, so I'm wondering if anyone has a idea of what might be the problem.
    Here are two pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    certainly not bumblefoot, but she did hurt herself somehow. maybe hard landing? foot caught into something etc.

3. tchamberlain

tchamberlain New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Then nothing to do, eh?

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Not much you can do unless its bleeding. keep the area clean. One of my hen had the same problem and didnt go away for a long time. that was last summer. she is fine. heres my picture
    [​IMG]

5. tchamberlain

tchamberlain New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Okay. Thanks. I'll just keep an eye on her. BTW did your girl get broody during that time? Mine won't stay out of the nest box.

6. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    No but got around with a limp. But not a painful limp. If yours not sitting on eggs. you may have to take her out so she can excercise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by