Swollen Foot

ginny7

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2016
About a week ago I noticed that my rooster's foot was badly swollen. I read about bumblefoot so I washed the foot and peeled a scab to see if there was a hard spot but I didn't see one. I put bandages on his foot for a few days after that until the open wound healed and gave him some expired antibiotics but his foot only seems to be swelling more. I have some prednisone. Does anyone know if that would help or what else I can do besides get a vet?

Pictures of the foot top and bottom might help. What antibiotic and dosage were you using? Did you squeeze the opening for a bumblefoot kernel?

I will post pictures tomorrow. I gave him amoxicillin and just poured some on bread so I don't know the dosage. I didn't squeeze the opening but I could only see smooth flesh and no bumps or anything.

You could try some warm soaks on his foot with Epsom salts? Amoxicillin dosage for chickens is 250-300mg per day in 2 to 3 doses. So, if you have 250 mg capsules you could mix it into yogurt or something similar, and give 1/2 of it twice a day for 7 days. If you have 500mg capsules you can mix it into 5 ml of yogurt, and give 1.5 ml twice a day.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been sick. Anyway thanks for the tips! I'll try them. Here are the pictures. It seems like it hasn't gotten any better since I first posted.

Last edited:
It looks to me like there has been frostbite in the feet, and the toe nails are gone. A daily soak with Epsom salts in warm water can help to clean and debride them, but it looks like they are starting to heal.malready.

Back
Top Bottom