Swollen foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by veronicadm8, Nov 14, 2014.

1. veronicadm8

veronicadm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Hi all,
    I need some help. I have a young bird with a slightly deformed foot. He gets around fine, but has a slight limp. I posted about this a few days ago when the limp got worse and I noticed swelling. I'm not sure it's bumblefoot... The swollen area is still soft except for one lump, and I can't for the life of me find any kind of scab. I've been cleaning, soaking in water with epsom salt and taking a "wait and see" approach. I'm very hesitant to lance it. The limping seems better, but I don't think the swelling has. Should I open it up?? I don't have new pics, but these are the old ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The lump is pretty directly over my thumb. Thanks in advance!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. veronicadm8

May 16, 2014
    Really?? I'm treating some of the others for scaly leg mites, this guy didn't look like it to me.... Kinda tough to tell on the feathered legged birds. I'm wondering if I should lance the foot. Thoughts? I prefer not to.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In your other thread about this where you said the toes were curling under when he walked, I had posted that it may be a tumor or an abscess. The curling under I thought could be from riboflavin deficiency, but sometimes can occur with Mareks disease. Tumors can occur with Mareks, but tumors are more firm to the touch. You did say that he was vaccinated for Mareks, though. An abscess or infection would feel more soft. Dawg knows a lot more than I do about these sorts of things since he has more experience. Bumblefoot does sometimes appear on the top of the foot, so that would make sense, if it is an infection. If your others have leg mites, they usually will affect the others. Have you treated him with vitamins for the curled toes?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. veronicadm8

May 16, 2014
    The top of the foot is actually the part he walks on because of the deformity, so that would make sense for bumblefoot- but from what I've seen, there is usually a scab with bumblefoot, and I can't find one. Yes, I have treated him with vitamins. I don't think it's a deficiency. I did notice the deformity at a really young age- just a few days old. It didn't impair his walking so I didn't splint the foot. I supplemented the water from really early on to prevent deficiencies as well. The scaly leg mites started with one pullet, and I've been inspecting them all frequently and treating as needed. Should I treat them all as prevention?? I just don't really know what to do from here, I've never had to do surgery and I'm really hesitant. Thanks!!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The coop and nest box litter she be emptied, and the coop sprayed with permethrin or Permectrin II, then clean pine shavings added, to help control the leg mites. If a vet is an option, that would be best since it is a little more complicated than the usual bumblefoot. Here are a couple of good links to read that include videos of bumblefoot surgery:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000779_rep800.pdf
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by