Swollen foul smelling bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulieP, Dec 12, 2013.

1. JulieP

JulieP New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    I have just caught one of my chickens that I noticed had a very dirty back end yesterday. She was sitting in the nesting area and was very subdued. She has a very swollen vent and it smells putrid with a very very messy back end. I cannot find an information with the these symptoms.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First, I would clean her up and evaluate her better. Let her soak in a basin of warm, lightly soapy water til you get the gunk soaked or cleaned off. She will probably relax nto the idea of a bath once she settles down from being put in there. Then keep her indoors to air dry or blow her dry if you wish, on a low setting. Check for a stuck egg and for a swollen belly, above the vent area. I'd keep her by herself, somewhere like my bathroom, where she can rest and I can see how much she is eating, drinking, pooping and laying.

There are a number of posssible causes: eggbound, internal layer, vent gleet come to mind, but that's far rom a complete list.

3. JulieP

JulieP New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you so much for the advice. I have cleaned her up. By the looks of things she is not egg bound and after doing a google search she has the classic symptoms of vent gleet as was one of your suggestions. I will now do some research on how to get her better. Thank you again.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by