Swollen gizzard (?) on 1 year old mille fleur d'uccle rooster, HELP?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LovelyChicks130, Mar 5, 2017.

1. LovelyChicks130

LovelyChicks130 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    This is my boy, Roadrunner. He has always been quite the breasty male, holds his head way back and puffs out his chest. Today we noticed him hanging out by himself, walking around, but he has a big, big lump in the gizzard area. I felt it and it feels like something is quite out of place and sticking out. He is jerking his head around like something is caught and holding his head over to his right side. He can still hyper extend his neck. Did he eat something really big, or is he injured and a goner? I love him very much and don't want to make any premature decisions, such as an "off with his head" kind of thing to put him out of hid misery if it is treatable. He is spending the night in the house, which I'm sure I'll be sorry for come 4 am, haha.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    Look up sour crop / impacted crop. I have been dealing with this in one of my hens this weekend. There are a couple of good youtube videos on how to get them to vomit up the contents - mine had a wad of timothy grass hay come up... best of luck and prayers...

3. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    Look up sour crop / impacted crop. I have been dealing with this in one of my hens this weekend. There are a couple of good youtube videos on how to get them to vomit up the contents - mine had a wad of timothy grass hay come up... best of luck and prayers...

4. LovelyChicks130

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you so much! I will look it up now!

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Do you provide grit?What does his poop look like?How does his crop feel?

6. LovelyChicks130

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    He is free range, so he eats plenty of rocks, dirt, etc. His poop is green and quite solid and dry. He just pooped in my lap. He has quite a bit of stuff in his crop, small pebbles and other larger things. His neck almost has a round to it, and it feels hard. Almost like a neckbone or something out of place. Like the crop pushing it out of the way. I havebeen massaging his crop and trying to get him to throw up, it's not working. He also sounds congested.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds pretty serious. I had one day just the other day with a gizzard impaction and a crop impaction who died before I realized it. If you have a local vet that could help, they could get the impaction cleared with crop surgery. For now I would try to get him to drink water with electrolytes and no food. Keep massaging his crop. Keep him in a crate so that he cannot get any feed until his crop goes down. If he will take some yogurt, that will give him probiotics. Two Crows has a good thread on treating crop problems, and you can do a searcch for it at the top of the page.

8. LovelyChicks130

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    It seems to be his neck? His neck is crooked? Like bent way out in that lump in the picture then twists to the side. Is that what they call crooked neck? His crop isn't puffy. He is pooping normally. I can still feel stones, etc in his crop this morning but it isn't puffed up. He keeps jerking his neck like something is caught.He is eating a slice of pair I gave him and he has crowed many times. He seems sleepy though.

9. LovelyChicks130

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    *pear, not pair.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If his crop has emptied overnight, it is functioning normally. He may have something in the crop that he is having a hard time passing. Or it could be the beginnings of stargazing, which is usually caused by a vitamin deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by