SWOLLEN hard abdomen - older hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gina4animals, Jan 15, 2011.

1. gina4animals

gina4animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Salida, CO
    Please help - My hen is probably very uncomfortable - I have read through most of the older posts regarding "water balloon" and other swollen abdomens. This is very large, hard and she has whitish-grey diarrea. I washed all of the poop off her, put her in a dark cardboard box with a bit of water and olive oil in it. What more can I do? I have no idea if she is egg-blocked or something else. She is about 3 years old I think - Red-sex link, and I am not even sure she is still laying as I have 13 hens and I don't really keep track of who is still laying and who isn't.
    I am sure my small town has no avian vets - just horse vets.
    Gina

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can try stabbing her with a needle and syringe if it feels like a liquid filled mass, to drain the liquid. But in the end, it does not sound good for her at all. Sorry.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    gina4animals - It sounds as if she is having egg laying issues. I have no experience with this, but if you search this site (hard swollen abdomen) you will find some information that should help. Here is one link I found. Unfortunately there may not be much you an do for her. I'm sorry, and I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will come along soon. Good luck to you and your hen.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=209433&p=1

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Sounds like a fiberous tumor in the egg tract. I have seen this in many older hens. It will kill her eventually. I would consider her a cull.

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    try giving her a warm bath for 20 minutes, then keep her warm and in a dark area to prevent egg formation, repeat warm baths, when dry, place her on a warm heating pad, this helps to relax the abdominal muscles to help move an egg along if this is due to being egg bound, may be internal laying, not sure, lots of info here on both. good luck with her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by