swollen heads again! why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 15, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I am hatching buff orpingtons. This is my second batch. they have just started hatching in the last few hours and one of them has a very swollen head. the last batch I hatched most of them had swollen heads or necks or both. I posted about it then too, but nobody had heard of that before. as far as I know(I sold them), the chicks with the problem grew up to be healthy and the swelling went down within several days after hatch. I suspected that perhaps I didn't turn the eggs enough, so this time I turned them more regularly. Could it be a genetic problem? could it be viral or bacterial? It just looks like extra liquid in the tissue. it doesn't look healthy. any explanation would be appreciated. thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How are you sterelizing your incubator between hatches? What is your relative humidity during incubation and hatch?

Soggy chicks can be caused by a bacteria.

3. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    when my hatches are over, I clean out the bator, scrub at it with a sponge and soapy water, then spray bleach water on it and let it dry in the sun. I admit that I can't get at all the yuck and it smells like an incubator as soon as it heats up for the next hatch. I have a cabinet incubator that I incubate in, and a LG for the hatcher. humidity during incubation was around 30-45% and while in the hatcher, I don't have a gauge in there all the time but I make sure there is a little condensation on the windows, probably around 70% or higher.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If there is a smell there is likely a bacteria growing in there.

Condensation would indicate the humidity is well above 70%.

5. lchickengirl

lchickengirl New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    I had the same thing happen! :(

6. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    That sounds terrifying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by