Swollen/Hurt Ear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChookCluck, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    One of my bantams has a swollen ear. I think that she hurt it a while ago, and it still has dried blood on the outside, and the ear lobe has swollen underneath. Maybe the swelling is the ear cavity filled with blood? Or the blood is blocking the ear cavity? I don't know whether I should remove the blood or leave it be. She doesn't seem to be in pain from it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer some advice? Any help would be greatly welcomed.

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oh geeze... There is something niggling at the back of my mind... I recognize those symptoms.... If I remember correctly, it is imperative that you remove the blockage. You should find a "cheesy" substance. But DON'T DO ANYTHING until I look it up, or someone who is positive this is correct posts....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you use an old wash cloth soaked in warm water to remove the blood from the outside of her ear. Then lay your hen down on her side with a towel snugly wrapped around her to prevent her from flapping around. Use an eyedropper filled with hydrogen peroxide and fill the ear up. It will bubble up the blood and any other debris, gently use a Q-tip to wipe it clean/dry as best as you can. Finally, pack the ear with neosporin and leave it alone. Release your bird... just keep an eye on her to ensure she doesnt get picked/pecked on.

4. ChookCluck

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:I actually tried something like that, but the blood is very hard to get off. I will try again. Thanks for the advice!

Also, where would I be able get Hydrogen Peroxide?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hydrogen peroxide can be purchased at pharmacies, or at grocery stores in the health and beauty aids aisle.

6. ChookCluck

Aug 3, 2011
    Hmm, I removed a bit of blood last night, and by tonight, her ear has bled more, as there is dried blood on her feathers. Will removing the blood cause it to get worse, and bleed more?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It has proven to bleed more. It must be an injury of some type. It might be best to let it dry, scab up and heal itself without intervention. This will no doubt take time to heal on its own. It's also best to keep her seperated from your other birds.

8. ChookCluck

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:It has proven to bleed more. It must be an injury of some type. It might be best to let it dry, scab up and heal itself without intervention. This will no doubt take time to heal on its own. It's also best to keep her seperated from your other birds.

It has been like this for weeks now though... I would have thought a wound wouldn't have taken this long to heal.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Time to take her to a vet, may require stitches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by