Swollen Jap Quail foot!

JeremyS

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Hi all,

Today I noticed one of my quails had a swollen red foot..

Any ideas of what this could be?! She has no other marks on it no scabs or anything just its red and swollen,

I will post a pic later

Thanks

Jezz

Its still swollen, I have taken a picture, Its just a sack of blood on one foot, her toes seem to be ok tho..

Last edited:
The dark area of her foot is where I have tried to drain some liquid off but it just seems be blood. no marks on it just a sack of blood.. other foot is fine..

Jezz

Hi, Thanks for the link, Im still not too sure as there was no puss coming out of it, Also it tends to look at the bumblefoot after treatment and there were no scabs or marks on it until i got a sterile needle on it, I have her with another female as pets. The other 25 birds I have are in my shed and are doing fine.Im going to look at treatmentsto make a paste and see if this woorks but need to know what to get first.. As it seems this may help get rid of it early.. Its been swollen for around two days at the mo..

Thanks for the advice.
Jezz

This still seems to be the same..

If its doesnt improve I may take her to the vet.. Will wait and see...

If you live in or near a farm area try to call a livestock vet instead of a regular, come to office type of vet, you'll get more realistic advice from the farm vet. They usually don't rake you over the coals so bad either. The other thing you could do and this is my suggestion is go this section of BYC and post there in the emergencies/disease section. Those guys are better than vets over there.

Just an update on this, I should really do this more often. after nearly a year and having a large foot, two vets appointments and an operation, The foot is still the same but the vet said there was no infection it is just a mutated foot, So my large girl is very happy one year on, But still has a very large foot for nothing to worry about.

Good to hear! As long as the bird is living a normal life, that is all that matters. It is only when they can no longer live a quality life should you put them down.

Great news!!

Back
Top Bottom