1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen knee on turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newbee58, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Newbee58

Newbee58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2016
    Central, Utah
    I have a male turkey that i noticed last week that he was limping. Checked his foot and didn't see anything. I thought maybe he had a sticker burr in it and i hoped i had goten it out.

Today i noticed he was limping worse and panting. Checked his foot again and didn't see anything. So I ran my hand up his leg, realizing the knee joint was swollen and quite warm to touch. The other knee is fine.

I have put him in a cage to keep him off the leg, but not sure what to do to help treat the joint. Can someone Please let me know what I need to do!

I have also posted this under the turkey section.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I've never had turkeys but ducks have a lot of leg problems and need niacin. Sounds like an injury though. I would try and keep him confined maybe . In humans Very hot either means blood clot or infection.
    I hope someone comes along that raises turkeys for you.

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    How old? Could be an injury or joint infection. If the latter, he will need a course of antibiotics.

4. Newbee58

Apr 29, 2016
    Central, Utah

5 to 6 months. What type of antibiotics?

5. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    One of my 4 mo. old turkey hens recently had a joint infection. Vet placed her on Clavamox (7 day course to start, however, the course needed to be extended another 7 days). She's back to herself now - no limping.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Newbee58

Apr 29, 2016
    Central, Utah
    I was hoping it was something i could get from feed store and handle wirhout going to vet. As I don't have the money for vet.

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    @casportpony Would their be an antibiotic safe for turkeys either human or at the feed store ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by