Swollen left wattle on roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by remuda1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I have a cuckoo Marans cockerel (5 and a half months old) who showed up yesterday evening with his left wattle swollen down low. There is what looks like a scab on the bottom edge if the right wattle. He acts like it hurts/itches/irritates ??? him and acts like he's trying to peck at the wattle but can't get hold of it. Other than those symptoms, he is great. Eating well, drinking well and poo looks good. I pit some neosporin on it yesterday evening to try to relieve the pain/itching/irritation and in case he has a little infection going on, but it didn't really seem to do much for him. Here's a very shirt video of him trying to peck at it. Any thoughts are welcome as to what this could be.

[​IMG]

I hope this link works... ETA: Okay, it should work now??

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Is it possible he got into a fight?

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Hi Tiss, I suppose I can't rule that out but he and the other rooster have grown up together and while there may be some posturing, I have never seen him even peck the BCM roo. There is no obvious wound......just swelling and I noticed today the the scab on the right one seems to have fallen off. He's active, engaged and seemingly in very good health...... Just wish I could figure out if I need to be worried or VERY worried, LOL [​IMG]

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    not something I would worry about. Keep an eye on it that it doesn't get infected unless it's HUGELY swollen. Could be a bee sting or a hen peck or a million other things.
    He could have gotten a scratch off something in the pen too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by