Swollen Leg in 4 year old Brahma Rooster

PCBH

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2018
Several days ago, I noticed our Rooster was laying down, and when up, limping. Upon inspection, his right front leg was extremely swollen (no obvious injury, bumblefoot, etc) I took him to my vet (who does not have a lot of chicken experience) and was Rx'ed Amoxi and Meticam (for pain) I have sequestered him in a dog kennel in the house, and he is resting and eating well.
He appears to be improving, but slowly. Any ideas?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I will suggest that your thread be moved to the ER forum where you are likely to get the best feedback.

Several days ago, I noticed our Rooster was laying down, and when up, limping. Upon inspection, his right front leg was extremely swollen (no obvious injury, bumblefoot, etc) I took him to my vet (who does not have a lot of chicken experience) and was Rx'ed Amoxi and Meticam (for pain) I have sequestered him in a dog kennel in the house, and he is resting and eating well.
He appears to be improving, but slowly. Any ideas?
How high are the roosts?

x2
Sometimes they roost up at the highest point and then leap off without using their wings to slow em down.
Yikes! I have large breeds and one of their roosts is about 4 feet off the ground. They use the ladder to go up, but not to come down! I have been thinking about lowering because I think they might hurt themselves too.

Yikes! I have large breeds and one of their roosts is about 4 feet off the ground. They use the ladder to go up, but not to come down! I have been thinking about lowering because I think they might hurt themselves too.
I put in a 5ft ladder with lots of steps so more chickens can huddle together in winter, and for a while it worked perfect. But recently some have been limping and others have stopped roosting altogether. Had to put in shorter ladders and other roosts. They can be very lazy birds

Back
Top Bottom