Swollen Leg in Orpington Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spinningdoggies, Mar 20, 2015.

1. spinningdoggies

spinningdoggies New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    We got this hen from a friend a few weeks ago. When we brought her home, the other chickens pecked her up pretty badly. I have had her separated from the flock, but in the coop with them where she can see them and they can see her.

She has been eating and drinking. Poop appears normal.

Took these photos of her leg tonight. other leg/foot appears normal. The swollen leg is firm to the touch but does give slightly when pressed on, feels warm to the touch. She is able to walk, but has difficulty.

Any ideas what this could be? I've searched the internet and found nothing that looks like this.

Thank you for any suggestions!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG],
    If it is warm to the touch, it is infected and she will need to be given antibiotics. It may have started out as a very small wound but, swelling plus heat means there is a active infection going on now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that she has had frostbite on her foot. She may lose the foot eventually. I would soak her foot daily in warm epesom salts, then apply betadine or iodine after drying it. The picture below shows one foot and the other foot containing 3 toes with frostbite. The dark areas were dead, and probably fell off later. After losing a foot, vet wrap may be used with cotton underneath to pad the stump. It's unfortunate that this happened.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by