1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

swollen leg ( or feet )

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luzmiila, Dec 21, 2015.

1. luzmiila

luzmiila Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Today I realized that my hen has a swollen finger and a wound below. Clean with alcohol and apparently did not hurt or hurts to walk. what can I give to her or do?

A pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    It looks as she has scaly leg mites also.

3. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
  4. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
  5. luzmiila

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes !! i read about the bumblefoot but is in the footpad... or all the pictures I've seen, that's where the problem is. Perhaps he stepped on something I do not know because it looks like a small wound but whit the dirt and debris is not well appreciated. I wiped with alcohol.

6. luzmiila

Oct 23, 2015
    Well bumblefoot results when the skin of the foot is compromised in some way, allowing bacteria to invade the foot, causing infection.. So, can be in everywhere in the foot, like a finger ???

7. luzmiila

Oct 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

that is the scab
    Sorry for the bad pic, my dad take it.

8. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Just watch it for a few days if it gets red or he/she limps then i would say bumble foot. I have a hen who got a cut on her foot over a month ago (scab look like that) it hasnt got any worse and she doesnt limp or anything the cut healed.

9. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Bumble foot can be any where on the foot. But, it is most commonly on the pad because that area can get cut easily. It is simply an infection on a chicken's foot. I agree with Jesusfreak101, wait it out and if it gets worse treat for bumblefoot. But the surgery is a very dramatic step to take unless you are positive that it is bumblefoot. Until then I would put some Aquafor or Neosporin on it and wrap(how to wrap link bellow) it (it will help keep the bird comfortable and if it is not bumblefoot it will help it heal).

Bumble foot on toes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good Luck!

-G

10. luzmiila

Oct 23, 2015
    I will wrap her ''finger'' tomorrow now she is sleeping. I have CLOTRIMAZOL + BETAMETHASONE... can I use it ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by