Swollen Leg

victorianfarm

Hatching
Dec 30, 2016
Hello,
Our 9 week old hen has a VERY swollen right leg. We had just transferred them outside to their coop when we noticed the next day. It looks awful. Other chickens seem very healthy. This chicken is still eating and drinking well (organic feed), and they freerange a bit more and more each week. It is not swollen on the bottom of foot, so it wouldn't be bumblefoot, right? She limps a bit on it, but I'm shocked she's doing as well as she is- she is otherwise acting happy. I am so horrified by the swelling. I am hoping someone will be able to tell from photos what might be going on and whether we can help her.

Last edited:
I would post more pictures. Several conditions can cause swelling of one or both legs, such as an injury from jumping, an infectious arthritis from staph, mycoplasma, or other bacteria or viruses, and articular gout. Does she hold the right leg up when she walks? Is she limping? She may need to be penned up in a crate with her own food and water to rest the leg while you try and figure this out. I would seek out a vet if possible, who could help with a diagnosis. They have Xray or if it is an infection, more powerful antibiotics specific to whatever the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom