divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
My rooster is about 3 years old. His name is monster and for the past 6 months, his been hopping and limping so I took him to the vet. He does have severe arthritis and now its swollen. He is eating fine and drinking. His poop is normal. Last night the pain got worse and now he keeps hopping on one leg. I want to know how I can stop his pain or minimize it.
20200828_110147.jpg

Attachments

• 20200828_110132.jpg
    20200828_110132.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 2
Poor guy. Arthritis is the pits. The good news is aspirin is both a pain reliever and an anti-inflammatory, and it's safe to give to chickens.

Get the 81 grain chewable kind, and give him one whole tablet in the morning and another in the evening. Some say that long term use of aspirin in chickens has risks, but he's already getting up in years, so I would expect the trade-off is worth it to give him some relief from the pain, and it can reduce that swelling, too.

You might speak to your vet, if you have one for other pets, about a prescription pain reliever and anti-inflammatory that might be better for long term use. For now, the aspirin is safe, and it shouldn't cause problems over this next year or so.

Poor guy. Arthritis is the pits. The good news is aspirin is both a pain reliever and an anti-inflammatory, and it's safe to give to chickens.

Get the 81 grain chewable kind, and give him one whole tablet in the morning and another in the evening. Some say that long term use of aspirin in chickens has risks, but he's already getting up in years, so I would expect the trade-off is worth it to give him some relief from the pain, and it can reduce that swelling, too.

You might speak to your vet, if you have one for other pets, about a prescription pain reliever and anti-inflammatory that might be better for long term use. For now, the aspirin is safe, and it shouldn't cause problems over this next year or so.
Thank you. Do you know how I can get the swelling down fast?

You might try Epsom Salt soaks several times a day. And if he'll cooperate, holding an ice pack on it for twenty minutes at a time in between. Getting the swelling down fast means work for you.

My rooster is about 3 years old. His name is monster and for the past 6 months, his been hopping and limping so I took him to the vet. He does have severe arthritis and now its swollen. He is eating fine and drinking. His poop is normal. Last night the pain got worse and now he keeps hopping on one leg. I want to know how I can stop his pain or minimize it. View attachment 2309920
Oh no! Poor fella. I personally use a lot of natural treatments for my rescues. But something that works miracles for me is castor oil. I’m not sure where you stay but where I live it is readily available at pharmacies and health shops. Just warm some up, clean his legs up and gently massage it into his legs and it should give him some relief and it can even reduce swelling.

Oh no! Poor fella. I personally use a lot of natural treatments for my rescues. But something that works miracles for me is castor oil. I’m not sure where you stay but where I live it is readily available at pharmacies and health shops. Just warm some up, clean his legs up and gently massage it into his legs and it should give him some relief and it can even reduce swelling.
Wow! I never knew that castor oil was this wonderful! I looked it up. https://draxe.com/nutrition/castor-oil/ Looks like it's one of those old timey remedies that really work. You can soak strips of flannel cloth in the warm oil and wrap those around his swollen leg for continued relief. Sure beats holding a cold pack on a squirmy rooster.

Wow! I never knew that castor oil was this wonderful! I looked it up. https://draxe.com/nutrition/castor-oil/ Looks like it's one of those old timey remedies that really work. You can soak strips of flannel cloth in the warm oil and wrap those around his swollen leg for continued relief. Sure beats holding a cold pack on a squirmy rooster.
Absolutely! We often do wing wraps with castor oil and it works miracles. We even use it on reptiles and mammals. It’s been my go to treatment for years.

Back
Top Bottom