swollen leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by insanity, Jan 28, 2014.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I picked up 3 muscovies yesterday and one has a problem. He is a mature drake and in good condition but his left leg is swollen almost double.there are no scratches or abrasions, and the bones feel ok. He won't put weight on it but manages to get around. It doesn't appear broken, the joints do move (under protest).
    There was no pond/water for bathing at his former home but conditions seemed ok otherwise. The husband said it had been like that for 3 days but the wife said more like a week so I'm not sure how old the injury is. Is there a dietary/environmental issue that could cause these symptoms?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does it feel hot? sounds like an infection. I'd start by soaking his leg in some warm Epsom salt water 1 cup to 1 gal. I use a dish pan since i can put both legs in and hold the duck and it can't drink the water that way. Epsom salt also works as a laxative so you don't want them to drink the water. Try to soak as long as he feels comfortable. Yes i know easier said than done, but this does sound serious if the leg is swollen 2x normal size. or vet care. Try keep him in a small are where he isn't having to walk around so much as in rest and soaks. Then there's always oral antibiotic if he doesn't respond to any other treatment in a few days. Did you check to make sure nothing is wrapped around the leg from where leg joins body all the way down that maybe cutting off circulation?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto Miss Lydia

4. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I have him separate from the others in a small area. No it isn't hot or fever like and there isn't anything wrapped around the leg.I was concerned about diet because in some animals lack of certain vitamins can cause water retention and pain in the limbs. I was hoping it could be as simple as that to fix.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well it could be do you know what they were feeding them? gout is a possibility but you'd have to look it up to see if ducks can get it. lameness can be caused by Niacin dif but it usually happens when young so I'm thinking an injury Muscovy's can get themselves into predicaments jumping down off of things etc.

6. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Thanks
    They fed chicken layer to all thier birds.He's on my food now so if it is diet it should clear up. Injury...well he will heal in time or not..... he gets around well enough. I'll give the salt bath a try, it can't hurt plus I know I love a good spa day.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lets us know how he is doing next couple days. only thing that concerns me is if infection. But hopefully rest and spa and good feed will get him going in the right direction. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by