Swollen Legs on a Hen....infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by declues, Oct 31, 2011.

1. declues

declues New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    I have a Vet coming out tomorrow, but I have a hen that both of her legs are infected from what, I have no idea. I noticed this a bout a week ago..My nephew came out and drained a little bit of the leg and we put purple spray on them. It is no better. Anything I can do until the vet comes out tomorrow morning. I don't want her to die, she is my fav hen!

2. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Very hard to say w/o seeing a picture sweetie, could it be bumblefoot (staph infection) which traveled up the hock? I am pretty new to the forum but I am sure someone else will be able to help if you supply them w/ more information. My prayers go out to you & your hen! [​IMG] keep us all posted on what vet's prognosis is.

3. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Treat her like a horse with an abscess. Epsom salts, ichthamol, vetrap. You should do penicillin injections too, your vet should have some in the truck. If your vet doesn't know how to do injections on a bird, it is in the breast but you want to keep them distal to the heart, lungs, crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by