Swollen Mass On Young Hen??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessmeagan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. jessmeagan

jessmeagan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to photograph with the feathers growing in but I tired to do my best with her flipped over.

We have a young hen who has a very swollen and soft (like water) bubble area directly under her right wing. Someone mentioned it may be her crop and she's a pig (she totally is) but since it's on the right side & not her chest I'm worried it may be something else.

Does anyone have an idea of what it might be? She's had a soft underbelly from the moment we brought her home (squishy bloated area down between her legs) but eats, drinks, plays outside all perfectly fine.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could the swollen area be a leaking air sac from a injury? That is where there is air leaking under the skin. If that is what you are seeing, it can be removed with a needle inserted just under the skin, and the air is pressed out. If it is causing her any distress, I would leave it alone. Can you take a picture of her standing that shows the soft squishy underbelly? Here is some info on a leaking air sac:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema
    https://www.ijasvm.com/ijasvmadmin/upload/IJASVM_5113cbc51d31b.pdf

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  3. jessmeagan

jessmeagan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    Ahh thank you! That's the best info I've gotten so far....I believe you may have hit the nail on the head right there. I'm so scared to go get a needle and puncture it though because I can see a vein running across the middle of the sack of air. I don't notice any distress but I'm also very careful not to press on it when doing morning transfer outside and inside for the night just incase it's painful. She didn't squirm when we flipper her for the pictures and I pressed on it slightly so I don't believe it's causing her pain.

Here are some pictures taken a few weeks ago showing the squishy underbelly (its almost impossible to notice now that she's feathered out). I assumed it was natural for her type of bird since we got a second one and he had the same thing...however, after a few weeks she seems to be extremely squishy when picked up and the other's feel like normal chickens. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by