1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen nasal area, wet nostrils, gunky around eyes. Possible cause?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slickware, Dec 12, 2011.

1. slickware

slickware Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi all. New to the forum but an occasional lurker/google checker. Been on the Dallas backyard chickens site for a while.

I've got 4, seven-month-old pullets that were bought from a reputable local breeder, and 4 12wk old ones that I hatched myself.

Today I noticed that one of my barred rocks has an almost marble-sized lump around her nostril/eye on only one side. A few weeks back she used to sneeze and occasionally had crusty yellow nasal mucus, but it seemed to go away once I started adding cider vinegar to her water.

I'm a little worried that whatever this is could spread to (and wipe out) my others.

Can anyone make some possible suggestions based on the pics below? (sorry they are a little blurry, I think she has trouble seeing around the bump and didn't want to hold still for a photo).

(edit: forum won't let me post links or photos. Will break apart the links below)

large pic, side view:
    tinyurl .com/7h3a3qe

front view:
    tinyurl .com/7qet9rx

Thanks in advance.

~Adam from Dallas

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hi [​IMG]

Sorry your hen is sick. Sounds like possible respiratory or sinus infection. I would start her on an antibiotic. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice. Good luck [​IMG]

edited because I suggested the wrong medication.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. FarmFreshEggs

FarmFreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Vero Beach
    Im sorry about your chicken. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, I went to the local prt store and got Ornacyn-Plus. It is a medication used on house birds that you mix in their water, but it also works great on my chickens. Its only about 6$. It can be used on hens that arnt sick too. Hope all goes well.

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Check out Coryza on here and see if that matches what your problem is.

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I would recommend a antibiotic such as tylan 50 it is used to treat resperatory problems 1/4 cc for bantams and 1/2 cc for large birds works good to

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2
    I saw the pics, could possibly be coryza or MG. A fowl odor around her head would indicate possible coryza. Here's a link, Scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about them if you wish.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. slickware

Dec 12, 2011
    I checked out Coryza, but I don't smell anything. The swollen area doesn't appear to be leaking or oozing at all, although it is very close to her eye and the eye is watery.

The other chicks all seem to have a little more nose-snots than usual, and a few are sneezing.

I picked up some Ornacyn powder and some avian vitamin concentrate, will keep it in their water for a few days and see if things turn around.

Thanks, all. Will update if anything changes!

~Adam

8. slickware

Dec 12, 2011
    Good news so far - the marble-sized lump on the barred rock has significantly lowered, and most of the other hens have less crusty nostrils.
    One of them is still coughing/sneezing, but I think he might be a rooster soon so I'm not as worried about him [​IMG]
    (also, he seems to be the one stupid one who won't drink the vitamin/ornacyn water. The others all gulp it down as soon as I bring it over!)

Thanks all,

Adam in Dallas

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by