Swollen Neck After Eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WalkerH, Sep 12, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So as the title says my chicken's neck swelled up after eating. It isn't her crop, way to high up and it is in the middle-ish of her neck. She looks like she ate to quickly and is trying to swallow it all down, but not sure. I am slightly worried since this is the first time I've seen this and haven't heard it talked about. Does anyone know what this is? Or if she will be fine? I gave her water and such to see if that helps, any other suggestions?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Is she acting uncomfortable or showing any signs of distress? I wouldn't worry unless she starts acting sickly.

3. WalkerH

Not really. She is mostly just sitting there looking as if she is trying to swallow the lump in her throat. She drank the water when I gave it to her. I figured I would just give her a bit and see if she got it down. Can chickens have allergic reactions cause I recently fed them some leftover crab innards, although she is the only one who reacted.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you look into her beak and see if anything appears to be stuck in her throat? Maybe she got a stick or piece of mulch or something......If you could reach it, you could pull it out.....

5. WalkerH

I'll go out and check now, just don't want to chase her around and stress her out more if she is already stressed.

Update: When out and checked on her, I think she got it down cause now her crop looks pretty full now. I'll keep checking on her, but she looks a lot better. Thank you very much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Try feeding her some olive oil?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by