Swollen neck? (updated w/ pics. Still needing help.)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tracylhl, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Songster

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Can you help? I have a barred rock pullet that is about 2 1/2 months old. Yesterday I noticed that her neck and gulet area was inflamed and swollen. Today it looks like someone blew up her neck like a balloon and it's about ready to pop! It's the same thing as yesterday but more severe. She's still running around playing just like the rest but I'm thinking that something might be really wrong. Have you ever had this happen? Do you know what it is?

ETA: I have been looking at anatomy pics and I really don't think this is her crop. It's more by her waddles. Pics added in thread. Can you help me help her?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants 9 Years

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    sounds like either a sour crop or impacted crop.

there are several post on here about each, do a search and many will come up

feel the area- is it squishy or hard
    smell her breath- is it sour

3. tracylhl

tracylhl Songster

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Just went out and checked. Her crop is hard, not squishy and I can't smell any sour breathe. Off to find out what that means.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants 9 Years

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    sounds like impacted crop then, how is she doing?

5. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    i have heard many many times that if you give them apple cider vinegar just to drink then they drink it and it helps there impacted crop.

6. tracylhl

tracylhl Songster

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I seperated her into a smaller coop that we have so that she could rest by herself. I gave her nothing but water with ACV all day and then tonight gave her yogurt and bread soaked in olive oil. She was pooping all day still so something is making it through but her crop is still very swollen and hard. I'm worried about her but I guess all I can do right now is wait and see how she is in the morning.

7. tracylhl

tracylhl Songster

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    She still looks horrible. This is my first time trying to nurse a chicken back to health. Is this what impacted crop looks like? I realize that these are horrible pics. I'm sorry. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i could be wrong, but i dont think that is a impacted crop??? i dont know what it is, but i hope you find some help soon!

9. tracylhl

tracylhl Songster

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    After looking around at some other pics, I don't think it is either! I have no idea what it is or how to treat her now!! I feel horrible for her and I'm at a loss as to how to help.

10. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    have you looked into her mouth?? is that normal in there ?? i see that and almost think about the sickness horses can get called strangles.... i can understand why you would be worried!!!! i hope someone will jump in soon and let you know!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by