1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen painful foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nonil, Apr 15, 2017.

1. nonil

nonil Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    After taking some excellent advice re my chickens swollen inflamed foot I operated to remove the small bumblefoot scab. There was no core of puss/infection.
    But now it's now 10 days later and the foot has healed but her foot is still swollen (there is no swellinging in the lower or upper leg) and she will not put it down. She's learned to use her wings for balance and hops, but most of the time she will not move our of the layer box. Her diarrhea has gone and she is eating a small amount and drinking. She shows signs of stress - often breathing with her beak open (as you would see on a very hot day). I have been giving her a liquid vitamin C in a syringe to fight any general infection. She's so adorable and responsive.
    I wonder if it is something else altogether!!! Maybe her foot is fractured? Who knows? What to do? It is too much money to have a consult with the local vet. Maybe it is time to put her to sleep.
    Anybody got any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of her feet? She could have infection in her joint possibly, or you did not go deep enough with your surgery. It also could be possible that she has a sprained foot. If you can't take her to a vet for antibiotics, you could buy procaine penicillin G injectable, found in feestores in the refigerated meds, and get 4 syringes with 4 needles--22 gauge 1/2 inch. Dosage is 1/4 or 0.25 ml given once a day for 4 days. That can treat a staph infection. Also, I would soak her foot daily in a warm Epsom salts footbath to help draw out any infection.

3. nonil

nonil Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Thanks so much eggcessive for info. Have just had a big learning curve as to how to upload a photo! So illiterate with all this stuff!
    Photos of my girls feet as requested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like there could be more pus in the foot The swollen areas between the toes on the top of the foot look like some I have seen. Sometimes you have to cut deeper to get the infection or core out. I hate doing bumblefoot surgery. Intend to ignore it unless they are limping or it is swollen between toes. Warm soaks daily in Epsom salts to the foot might help to help to draw out the infection.

5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I found this on you-tube- a way to draw the infection to the surface and pull the infection out without cutting using 'prid' which isn't all that spendy.
    Haven't used it yet, but it could save some grief in cutting for the second time.
    The video is a little long, but it's worth sitting through the 12 minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by