swollen peacock eye

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by dillydudeman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dillydudeman

dillydudeman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    the one side of my peacocks face is swollen under the eye and has been this way for about three weeks. Has anybody seen this before? i was hoping it would go away but it hasnt. Let me know if you know whats wrong or what i could do to help it? He doesnt seem sick or anything. THanks

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Look at some of the previous threads. You will see how to cure this.

3. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Hi, I have been treating swolen eye in Peafowl very( !00% sucess) effectively with Half a cc of Tyan 200. Injection into the eye cavity from the front (beak side)- care full not to poke the needle in to the eyeball. First I puncture the swolen area - let it bleed and then inject Tylan and hold the needle piersed in for 30 sec, so that the tylan gets into the peafowl blood streem. and take the needle out. I used to see the improvement from 3rd day onwards.-eventually complete cure. I arrest the peafowl with fishers net while treating. Try it- goog luck my friend..

4. dillydudeman

Mar 17, 2012
    Hi where do I get this type of medicine and the needle.. And what is the estimated cost? Thanks

5. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Hi dillydudeman
    I've successfully treated this condition with the NFZ puffer, available at any farm supply/feed store. It's a plastic bottle filled with powdered antibiotics. Simply shake the bottle and "puff" the powder directly into your bird's eye. Do this for 4 days and you should see the swelling go down. If it doesn't, I'd try something else, but this has always worked on my poultry. Costs about $10 and you'll have plenty to spare.

6. dillydudeman

Mar 17, 2012
    Hi I might try this puffer thing. Just to clarify though.. There is no problems with the birds eye.. The swelling is only under the eye. Does this sound right to you? Thanks

7. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    The Peafowl that I treated had complete closure of the eye due to the swelling all around the eye. I would not hesitate to bleed first and then inject 1/4 cc of Tylan 200 right into the middle of swollen area, hoping for best results.Even otherwise this treatment might not cause any deliterius effct. It is only normal quantity of antibiotic, helps kill all intestinal parasites and all the blood sucking tics and mites if any.

8. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    From the sound of it your bird has a sinus infection. Yoda has had a good post on this and it is a very viable treatment. I have not used the puffer myself as Featherhead has, so this may be an alternative also.

I have used Tylan 200 injected into the swollen pocket as described in an earlier post. In a couple of days it should be better. If it hardens or has hardened then it will need to be cut out. This can be done at home also.

Tylan, needles and syringes can be found at most farm stores or at Tractor Supply. Tylan 200 is about $20 and the syringe/needle will be really cheap.

If you need specific direction, pm and we can exchange #'s to make sure they come through it fine.

Tylan does not have any activity (killing power) on bots, worms, internal or external parasites. It's use is solely as a broad spectrum antibiotic. Note: If injected into muscle, it can permanently atrophy the muscle at the injection point. (Usually not a problem unless repeated muscle injections are done in a localized area)

Best of Luck

9. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Good points, 6littlechickies. If there's a hardened mass under the eye, it might be a little too late for puffer antibiotics alone. I've used the nfz puffer for eyes that were swollen underneath and around the eye. It's only happened once with my peafowl, but several times over the years with my chickens. The longer the infection is there, the more likely it has hardened. The puffer is easy to use and has worked well so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by