Swollen puffy, seeping eyes and runny nose and beak. **PIC ADDED**

Chickie Pia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
Hartebeespoort, South Africa
Hi everyone,

I noticed today that my golden seabright has swollen puffy, seeping eyes and a runny nose and beak. She also doesn't want to close her beak. I heard her wheeze a bit when she was breathing a few minutes ago too (but the breathing went back to normal).
None of my other chickens have it and she is kind of a loner, hangs around 2 other chickens only. She was born deformed and has only 1 normal sized wing. She hasn't been pecked or anything and I am worried she will infect my RIR's, the other couple of seabright and my Brahmas. (My 2 new Orpington's and new layer are in quarantine still).

I have put her in a cat carrier with food and water. She is almost 3 months old and very small compared to her sibling.

~~Please help!

She may have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (or CRD), or coryza. Some of these diseases are viruses that won't respond to antibiotics, but some will. Secondary bacterial infections are common, and most of these diseases will make chickens carriers. The antibiotics used commonly are tylosin (Tylan), erythromycin (Gallimycin), and tetracyclines (Duramycin, Oxytet, Terramycin.) Here is some info on these diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Out of the blue my breeder called today (after I posted this) and told me there is a huge outbreak of Newcastles disease so I am going to Immuno vet to get a vax for my 25 chickens. Apparently a vile will be enough for 1000 chickens??? 20L of water per vile??
Anyway she says it isnt what my seabright has though. So Ill read your link and educate myself a bit. Last time I used an broad spectrum antibiotic it was called Fosbac plus T. But I dont know if its a worldwide product or just here in South Africa. I didnt have any problems with my chickens, only my rooster that was 'paralyzed'. I don't know what was wrong with him. But I put the meds in all the chickens water. Just in case.
Ill chat to the vet (and check your link)
Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. She is fast asleep, was eating and drinking well yesterday.

Sorry for the mixed post, but if my new chickens that I got last week were vaccinated against newcastles disease, would I put it in theire water too? How often do chickens need to be vaccinated and against what?

Mostly here in the US, we generally only vaccinate for Mareks, and some will vaccinate for coccidosisis and fowl pox, then those who have MG positive flocks may do that one. We don't have the bad kind of Newcastles here, but I guess it is a bad disease. Do you think your rooster in the past may have had Mareks? In this picture of your seabright, is her pupil not perfectly round? Irregular-shaped pupils can be a sign of Mareks--hard to tell with pictures and reflections. I will look up Fosbac, but a broad spectrum antibiotic should help mycoplasma or coryza, and help secondary infections of viruses such as IB.

Thanks alot! Now I need to know if I can give the Newcastles vax and Fosbac plus T (or whatever they recommend) at the same time. Ill also ask my breeder. Now we are talking Mareks too. I have a very blurred pic. But her eyes seem roundish. Ill attach it too.

Edited: Mareks vax is too expensive for me to get right now its R1000. and they don't sell it in smaller quantities.
:(

Last edited:
I am battling to post the 2nd pic from my phone. Adsl on the blink. I'll take a clearer pic tomorrow.

Ps I have no clue what South Africa's vaccines are for chickens. All I know is none of my sebrights (including "Nimo") and my RIR's have had any. Only orpingtons and Brahma's have had them.

Last edited:
I was told that the newcastles vax will probably help her too as it has an antibiotic in it (forgot the name). Ill give it a bash.

To be honest, I wish I never got the seabrights. they were my first and I now realize I don't enjoy them. they are pretty to look at but that all. Grrr

Back
Top Bottom