Swollen red bumps on chickens feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marieschickens, Jan 16, 2013.

1. marieschickens

marieschickens New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Hello All,
    My Plymouth Barred Rock has large, red swollen bumps on her feet. I noticed last week that she wouldn't walk to the house, through the snow, like she normally does. She just hung out by the coop and wouldn't come to me. When I went out to fill their feeder today I noticed she had these sores on her feet. Wondering if you could help me diagnose what the problem is. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Are there any scabs on the bottom of her feet?? They look bloody. Try soaking them in epsom salt and warm water.

3. marieschickens

marieschickens New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    They weren't bloody per se, but they were definitely swollen and filled with fluid. I have to run into town but when I get back I will wash her feet off to see if there are scabs on the bottom. When I was out there earlier it didn't look like she had scabs but they were pretty muddy feet. She'll enjoy the personal attention. :)

4. marieschickens

marieschickens New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    So there are no scabs on the bottom of her feet or on top of her feet. When I brought her in and soaked her feet this morning the redness of the bumps almost completely disappeared. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by